This weekend my almost-fourth-grader decided we needed to bake a back-to-school chocolate cake. Which, of course meant we needed to bake this chocolate cake. I pulled out my mother-in-law's “Chocolate Jiffy Cake” recipe (I have no idea why it's called a Jiffy cake . . .) rolled up my sleeves, pulled out my apron and got to work. (It doesn't take much to inspire me to bake a cake!)
This is the perfect chocolate cake recipe. . . I promise you can't go wrong with this one. Once we were all done Caroline decided it needed a little decoration so she set to work, and we enjoyed every last bit of that back-to-school-in-a-jiffy cake!
Perfect Chocolate Jiffy Cake
For the cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 16 oz. package confectioners' sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Spray 2 9″ cake pans pay well with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together first six ingredients. In separate bowl, mix together eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Combine with first set of ingredients and blend for 3 minutes on medium speed with electric mixer.
- Add boiling water and stir to combine by hand.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together frosting. Cream softened butter, then slowly add cocoa powder until mixed.
- Add confectioners sugar and milk alternately, until throughoughly combined.
- Add vanilla extract and stir until combined.
- Once cakes are completely cooled, frost. (You'll have plenty of frosting . . . the best part!)
(Note: when you remove cakes from oven let them sit on wire rack for about five minutes before turning out on pan. This cake is very moist, so be careful as you remove them … and if the cakes don't pop out perfectly, don't worry because you'll have plenty of frosting to hide any mistakes!) 😉
Can you tell it's perfect? 😉
Looking for more yummy treats for your family? We really like our desserts around here, so here are just a few of our favorites . . .
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Decadent Blondie Brownies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
- Homemade Chocolatey Rice Krispy Treats
SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.
Chocolate Jiffy Cake has been our family’s go-to chocolate cake recipe – my Grandma used to make it. Do you have any idea where your mother-in-law got it?
This really is the best chocolate cake I ever had. I had more than enough frosting, maybe because I whipped it well when I made it. When you imagine a rich moist chocolate cake this is what you want. Really gives the chocolate taste when you crave it. So good its hard to know if you should share the recipe or keep it a secret.
Oh I lied. I made it last night. Looks beautiful, but I haven’t tried it yet. I did not find the frosting to be abundant, just enough. Would actually have liked more between the layers but was afraid I might run short.
I am making this tomorrow. Thanks!
Yummy!! Love the bottom picture!! 🙂
Thanks Rachel ~ that girl is a mess (but I couldn’t resist sharing!) 😉