FREE WORK PLANNER
This isn't the greatest meal deal for this week's sales at Publix ever, but it used up tons of items that have been lurking in my fridge and pantry, and I'm betting things you've been wondering what to do with too! And, if it's true that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Well, then you'll have one happy man 🙂
To make this substantially less heavy, you could easily substitute with regular toast or even use some of the Flatout wraps that were on sale recently . . . wish I had thought about that sooner but it was really good on that Texas Toast last night!
Grilled Steak Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups Lawry's marinade We used Lawry's Sesame Ginger
- 2 tablespoons olive oil Pompeian Olive Oil BOGO $5.99 $1/1 Pompeian Olive Oil
- 1 pound flank steak This was the budget buster – my store sells them in 2 pound packages for that cost me around $11 – so I cut the meat into two 1 lb. portions and froze the rest. Not the best deal but almost everything else was in the pantry! The meat manager at my store said you could also substitute with top round sirloin ($4.59/lb.) to pinch an extra penny 🙂
- 1 box Texas Toast BOGO in last week's ad; we used the Lite Texas Toast and I think that was perfect – only one side of the lite version is covered with all the yummy garlicky-butter-gooooo!
- 1/2 cup mayonaise $.50/1 Kraft Mayo or Miracle Whip Target Store Coupon
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 red onion
- 4 oz. Feta Cheese $1/1 Athenos Feta Cheese; I had four containers of this hiding in the back of my fridge from when this was BOGO at Publix the last time!
- Score meat with sharp knife to let the marinade soak in. Place steak in Lawry's marinade and let sit for 1 – 8 hours.
- Once meat has marinated, mix together mayonaise and chili powder. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in skillet. Grill onions for 3-5 minutes, until softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add steak to pan, discard marinade. Cook for 14-16 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking, until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, bake Texas Toast. When toast is finished, spread mayonaise mixture on toast.
- Once steak is cooked, carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
- To make sandwiches, layer toast, meat, grilled onions, and feta, then top with second slice of toast.
Start like this . . .
Then make this . . .
And it will end up looking like this . . .
Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index. Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.