Don't pay too much for gas! Find out simple tips on how to save money on gas. Also find out how to find the cheapest gas near you to save!
How to Save Money on Gas
There are so many ways to save on your grocery budget, but saving on the cost of gas isn't always quite as easy! I've been trying to see just how long I could make it on a single tank of gas (right now I'm on day twelve with 1/3 of a tank left . . . ), but today's my errand running day!
I spend most of my time at home working on the computer (sharing all the best deals!), which keeps me away from running errands that may not be necessary. Some days I feel like I miss quite a few bargains, but simply staying home keeps me from spending a lot of money!
While gas prices typically go up in the spring & summer time due to demand (traveling, vacation, etc), I had no idea that summer fuel is more expensive to make than winter blend fuel. Who knew??
Supposedly, the production process takes longer and the overall yield of gasoline per barrel of oil is lower, so it can add as much as 15¢ per gallon to make these higher-grade fuels. Read more about this here!
With warmer weather and summer road trips upon us, you may be looking for ways to save at the pump?? Keep reading.
1. Use apps like Gas Buddy and GetUpside.
Something that's super easy to do is simply check for the best gas prices in your area before you shop. With the GasBuddy Gas Price Map, you can get real time prices in specific areas near you. They also have a bunch of other tools on their website here, like how to find the current gas outages are near you.
You can also earn cash back on your gas purchases with GetUpside! GetUpside is a free cash back app where you can earn up to 25¢/gallon cash back on gas. PLUS, you can use the code AFF20 to get a 20¢ sign-up bonus, making your first offer up to 45¢/gal in savings!
To earn cash back with GetUpside, note that you need to make your purchase with a debit or credit card – no prepaid debit cards or gift cards. It's just four easy steps to use GetUpside:
- Open: Open the app when you need gas, convenience store items, groceries, or something to eat from a restaurant.
- Claim: Claim the best offer from a business near you.
- Swipe: Pay for your purchase as usual, with your regular credit or debit card.
- Snap or Check In: Follow the app's directions to Check In or to snap a picture of your itemized receipt. No special cards or numbers to remember; no coupons to bring.
- Earn: Receive cash back on your transactions directly in the app. Cash out your earnings whenever you want via PayPal, e-gift card, or your bank account.
Go HERE to check it out!
Curious about the national average gas prices? Check out AAA’s Fuel Gauge Report, updated daily.
2. See if your store offers Fuel Rewards!
Occasionally Kroger, Safeway, and other stores offer fuel points (like Kroger's occasional 4x Fuel Points program) or discounted gas cards when you spend a certain amount in groceries at their stores. You can also get everyday discounts at the pump with grocery store's Fuel Rewards program powered by Shell!
Here are a few more stores that offer fuel rewards:
- Kroger – Earn 1 fuel point for every $1 spent.
- Safeway & affiliates – Redeem JustforU grocery rewards for fuel discounts.
- Walmart – Get 5¢ off per gallon if you're a if you're a Walmart+ member!
3. Plan your shopping trips.
If you frequently head into “town” for your errands, be sure to plan your trips well and try to limit any random trips as much as you can. I usually meet my hubby once a week for lunch and try to hit any stores I need to while I'm there. It makes it so much easier to plan that day for ALL my errands, rather than run into town throughout the week for several quick trips!
And, if there are items that you need that your spouse can pick up for you on the way home from work, let him/her do the shopping for you (provided that you teach them how to coupon first! 🙂 ).
4. Find things you love to do near your home!
More often than not, the less frequently you drive, the less money you'll spend on things that are unnecessary. Cook your meals at home and skip eating out (another reason why you need the PPP Menu Plans in your life! 🙂 ). Instead of going to a movie theater, trade movies with a neighbor. When you're tempted to head to the mall just to walk around, take a walk around your neighborhood instead!
5. Swap shopping days with a friend.
My sweet neighbor and I recently started taking turns heading to Sam's Club or Costco for grocery staples, so each of us goes just every other week. Not only are we saving on gas, but it's one less store that we have to shop on a weekly basis! Do you have a neighbor or family member that you can do this with?
Speaking of Costco…
6. Fill up at Costco Gasoline spots.
In a survey collected by the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS), Costco has been named the number one brand for the top-low prices among the Fuels 50 brands, a ranking of the most effective fuel brands. Gas prices vary based on location, but it’s pretty obvious that Costco offers a pretty sweet deal for gasoline!
==>> Right now you can get a $10 Giftcard when you sign up for a new Costco Membership!
7. Set a Gas Budget.
Yep, it's important to set a realistic budget for the cost of gas, just like you plan for your grocery budget. If you notice that you're constantly spending more on gas than you've planned, see what changes you can make in your daily routine to limit your gas expenses.
By the way, if you have the Passionate Penny Pincher Home or Money Planner, you can easily keep track of your gas and transportation expenses for the month right inside on the Budget Worksheet page!
How to Save Gas While Driving
The price of gas is one of the most expensive factors in driving a vehicle. Unfortunately, projections suggest that the price of gas will continue to rise in the future.
But there are simple things you can do to save here and there!
A few easy ways to save gas while driving include making sure your tires are properly inflated, driving more slowly, use eco mode if your car has one, get regular maintenance, and avoid driving in heavy traffic
What tips do you have for saving money on gas? And, just for fun, I'd love to hear what city you're in and what the price of gas is in your hometown!
Here are a few other posts you may be interested in:
- 10 Reasons Why You Should Always Take Freezer Meals For Vacation. ALWAYS.
- How To Change Your Grocery Budget | 3 Strategies To Help You Save
- How to Declutter Your Home This Weekend (and Make Money for Summer Vacation!)
- 40 Creative & Frugal Date Ideas
More deals today:
- New Balance Women's Sneakers As Low As $22? (Reg. $59+!)
- *RARE* GE Opal Nugget Icemaker Rollback!
- Claire's | Buy 3, Get 3 Free Sitewide (Even Clearance!)
- When Is Bath & Body Works Semi-Annual Sale? (NEW COUPON MAILER JUST ARRIVED!)
- Old Navy Flip Flop Sale – Cute Styles Just $2 Each!
- Kohl's | Magic Bullet Blender Set from $27.30 (Great for Gifts!)
- This SUPER Cute “Christy” Top is under $19 Shipped!
SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.
Costco gas is the best and cheapest even though in Sacramento, California it is $4.39-4.65. We also (jokingly) told our teenage kids we were going to start charging them for gas and now they think twice about their trips out .
Good to know Tammy! 🙂