If you're looking for a low calorie version of stuffed peppers, you've GOT to try these Sausage and Pepperoni stuffed peppers without rice!
Sausage and Pepperoni Stuffed Peppers Without Rice
This sausage and pepperoni stuffed peppers recipe is like pizza in a pepper!
Not to mention each pepper comes in at only 337 calories and 12 net carbs. So if you've got a pizza hankering but still want to keep on track, you'll want to give this recipe a try. You won't even miss the rice, I promise!
This idea of putting these peppers in a bundt pan to cook is genius. Thanks to supper club member Nancy for sharing this tip!
- Italian sausage
- pizza sauce
- Italian seasoning
- green bell peppers
- turkey pepperoni
- shredded mozzarella cheese
🍽️ MENU PLANNING TIP: This delicious stuffed peppers without rice recipe is from week 9 of our low calorie menu planning made easy set!
How to make stuffed peppers without rice:
- Start with a sprayed 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Stem and seed 4 large green peppers (removing the seeds and membranes) and then cut each pepper in half.
- Cook the Italian sausage until browned and crumbly (you could also use ground turkey or ground meat or a beef mixture in this recipe!).
- Next add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until tender. Toss in the pizza sauce and some Italian seasoning and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Let mixture cool a few minutes then add some chopped pepperoni and 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese and stir to combine.
- Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture, and add to baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven, and top with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Return peppers to oven, and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until that cheese is nicely browned and the peppers are soft.
Sausage & Pepperoni Stuffed Peppers
- 19.5 oz ground Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz pizza sauce
- 2 tsps Italian seasoning
- 4 large green bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise with stem and seeds removed
- 3 oz turkey pepperoni, cut into fourths
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned and crumbled.
- Push browned sausage to the side and add onion and garlic to skillet. Turn heat to medium and cook 2-3 minutes. Add pizza sauce and Italian seasoning, mixing everything together well. Simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened.
- Turn off heat and let mixture cool a few minutes. Then add chopped pepperoni and 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella, stirring gently to combine.
- Fill each pepper with meat mixture and add to baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Return to oven and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until cheese is nicely browned and peppers are soft.
Do you boil the peppers before stuffing them?
Not for this recipe! In fact I haven't done that step in years. There shouldn't be a need to boil the peppers before hand unless you want to just blanch them to enhance their color.
Should you cover stuffed peppers when baking?
You don't have to cover your peppers when baking. It does speed up the process a bit. If you'd like to, you can cover the peppers with aluminum foil the first 30 minutes of cooking. However, that step is not necessary for this recipe.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week nine of our low calorie menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
Print your Free Monthly Meal Plan Calendar and join us in making yummy food for your family each night.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet. Plus, they're the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you. No downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!
Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
A HUGE thank you to Missy, Trisha, Nancy and Kayleigh in our PPP Supper Club Private Facebook Group. They graciously shared their pictures of the Sausage & Pepperoni Stuffed Peppers.
We all love this one! Would you love to be part of our menu planning community? Order any of our menu plans from the Passionate Penny Pincher Shop and you'll get free lifetime membership. It's the happiest meal-plan-making-corner of the internet!