Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
I made this recipe a few weeks ago, and goodness there's just nothing better on a busy night than to have Mrs. Potts cooking dinner while I'm running kids around town! It was so simple to throw together, and tasted just delicious. Everyone gobbled down dinner and I loved having dinner done. Success!
I used a pork shoulder roast (I've found that shoulder roasts always seem to cook best for me in a crockpot – I've tried just about every other type of roast but consistently come back to those!)
Menu Planning Note: You can also find this recipe in our Slow Cooker Menu Planning Made Easy Set!
Any time I see a beef or pork shoulder roast on sale I grab a few and put them in my freezer, which comes in handy when I need an easy meal. (You can also try out this recipe for Italian Beef using a shoulder roast – by far our favorite slow-cookin'-recipe ever!)
Here's the recipe so you can get started ~
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- 3 lb Pork Shoulder (Pork Butt)
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice
- 3 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Orange Sliced
- Corn Tortillas
- Toppings Optional; Cilantro, Diced Onion, Avocado, Cheese, Sour Cream, Lime Wedges
- Combine lime juice, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, onion powder, and black pepper to make a rub.
- Cut pork shoulder into 3 pieces, removing any excess fat and generously cover with rub.
- Place pork shoulder in slow cooker (along with any leftover rub) and top with the orange slices.
- Cover and cook on low, 6 - 8 hours or high, 4 hours until very tender.
- Discard orange slices; remove meat and shred.
- Before serving, in a large skillet, pan fry desired amount of meat over medium heat until it gets a good brown crust over some pieces. (Don't skip this step as it really enhances the flavor.)
- Serve pork on warm corn tortillas with desired toppings.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week two of our slow cooker menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.