FREE HOME PLANNING
Comments are now closed on this giveaway.
There are so many ways to pinch an extra penny using coupons, but using wholesome, inexpensive foods to cook with is one of my favorite ways to save at the grocery store. Dried beans are a wonderful source of protein and fiber, and you needn't be scared off by the little extra time that it takes to prepare them . . . it's so much easier than you'd expect and the result is absolutely fantastic!
The folks over at Hurst Family Harvest offered our family several different types of beans to try out, and since white chili is a favorite at our house, we added it to the slow cooker this weekend. The recipe was just delicious, and so simple to prepare. A package of Hurst Family Harvest Beans with seasonings costs around $1.99 at the grocery store, and will feed eight people when you add a few additional ingredients, so it's a wonderful way to feed your family well on a budget!
Slow Cooked White Bean Chili
- 1 package Hurst Family Harvest Southwestern Bean Chili (includes Seasoning Packet)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 oz. can diced green chili peppers
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken or 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked
- sour cream
- Place beans in large pot and cover with two inches of water. Soak beans overnight. (Set seasoning packet aside.)
- In the morning, drain and rinse beans, add to slow cooker.
- Remove skin from chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces. Then add broth, water, chili peppers, onion, bell pepper, garlic and chicken.
- Cook on low, 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.
- Add seasoning packet to chili, let simmer 15 minutes longer.
- Pour chili into bowls, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, & chives. Enjoy!
- Required Entry: Visit Hurst Family Beans Website and share which type of beans you'd like to try out in your family.
- Additional Entries: Like Hurst Family Harvest on Facebook.
- Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook and leave a comment to let me know (or leave a comment if you’re already a Facebook fan.)
- Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email (or leave a comment if you’re already a Facebook fan.)
FREE HOME PLANNING CHECKLISTS!
Download your FREE checklists now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.