FREE WORK PLANNER
Ever wonder exactly how does Kohl's cash work? I guarantee you're not alone – check out these helpful tips and tricks to earn more and redeem smarter!
How does Kohl's Cash work? We've got all the details here!
If you're been earning Kohl's Cash over the past few AWESOME Kohl's sales – you're probably about ready to go spend it (yay for shopping sprees!)….. but maybe you have some questions on how to use your Kohl's Cash.
Here are the answers to ALL your Kohl's Cash questions – including the best deals to spend your Kohl's Cash on!
How Do You Earn Kohl's Cash?
During Kohl's Cash earning periods, you can earn $10 in Kohl's Cash (basically store money) for every $50 you spend BEFORE Taxes/Shipping are calculated. You can earn Kohl's cash on ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING in the store – and spend it on anything too!
NOTE: Up until now – Kohls would actually reward $10 in Kohl's Cash on any purchase $48 and up. But that changed on 9/30/20 and you will now earn only when you reach within a few cents of the $50 mark.
Here's an example of what that looks like:
- Earn $10 Kohl's Cash on a $50+ Purchase
- Earn $20 Kohl's Cash on any purchase of $100 and up.
- Score $30 Kohl's Cash on any purchase of $150 and up.
- Get $40 Kohl's Cash on your purchase of $200 and up…
If you're just shy of the $50 mark – there are always small filler items you can use to get your cart up to $50 when you're almost-there. We have quite a few ideas linked toward the end of this post if you're looking for ideas!
How does Kohl's Cash really work?
Once you have Kohl's Cash in hand, you'll need to wait for the date when you're able to redeem it. Once redemption period has opened – it's time to shop!
Using your Kohl's Cash in the store is easy – you just hand it to the cashier (or show them on your phone) and they'll deduct it from your total.
To use Kohl's Cash online:
- Look for the Kohl's Cash in your email – or if you have paper Kohl's Cash look at that
- Find the 15 digit coupon number followed by the 4-digit pin.
- Enter it in the coupon code space in your cart
- (There's a limit of 4 Kohl's Cash redemptions per online order)
If you added it to your wallet already – it should show up as a discount that you can apply to whatever's in your cart.
If you earn Kohl's Cash shopping in store: The cashier will hand you a physical green Kohl's Cash “buck” that has your amount and redemption period printed on it. It's a good idea to immediately add your physical Kohl's Cash to your online “wallet” in case it gets lost.
If you have the Kohl's App, you can also store Kohl's Cash in your “wallet”.
Kohl's Cash can be spent during redemption periods to purchase absolutely anything in the store or on their website except Kohls Cares items.
- Normally Kohl's will offer $10 Kohl's Cash back for every $50 you spend (after discounts are taken into account).
- Occasionally they'll offer $5 Kohl's Cash back for every $25 spent.
- And during Kohl's Black Friday & Cyber Monday events you'll earn $15 Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent!
There's NO LIMIT to how much Kohl's Cash you can earn!
Can you use Kohl's Cash WITH Coupons?
The thing I don't love about redeeming Kohl's cash, is how it stacks with coupons.
Kohl's Cash is deducted BEFORE any discounts are taken. So any coupon codes you use will have less impact because your Kohl's Cash was applied to your cart first.
Here's an example of what that looks like:
Let's say you go to buy a $100 cookware set and there's a 20% OFF coupon code available and you have $45 in Kohl's Cash to spend.
- If you apply $45 in Kohl's Cash to your purchase, your total will drop to $55.
- The 20% OFF code will be added next, and will only apply to the $55.
- Instead of getting a $20 discount, you'll get an $11 discount.
Double Earn with Kohl's Cash + Kohl's Rewards
Recently Kohl's rolled out new changes nationwide to simplify the way they reward customers. With the new Kohl's Rewards program (formerly Yes2You Rewards) customers earn 5% on every purchase, every day – paid out in extra Kohl's Cash once you reach $5. This new program is called Kohl's Rewards.
How Does Kohl's Rewards Work:
Kohl's Rewards earnings are in addition to the Kohl's Cash you earn at every $50 mark. This is like a “bonus” $5 Kohl's Cash you get here and there when you have spent enough.
Example: Spend $100, get back $20 in Kohl's Cash and also get back $5 in Kohl's Rewards.
- Your Kohl’s Rewards are paid out in $5 Kohl’s Cash increments on the 1st day of the month FOLLOWING the month you earned it
- Kohl's Rewards are valid for 30 days after they're issued
- Kohl's Cash earned from Kohl's Rewards will arrive via email (see the screenshot above!) – and if your Kohls.com account is linked to your Rewards account, it will also be auto-added to your Kohl’s Wallet.
- Use Kohl's Cash on anything except Kohl's Cares items
Kohl's Cash Filler Items
When you're oh-so-close to earning Kohl's Cash but not quite at the $50 mark – here are some great ideas for filler items:
- Washcloths – $1.99
- Earth Therapeutics Facial Wipes – $2.40
- Women's 3pk Gloves – $2.84
- Wax Melts- $3.49
- Food Network Placemat – $3.19
- Big One Washcloth 6pk – $4.99
Best Items To Spend Your Kohl's Cash On
Because I always feel like I'm not getting my full discounts when I use Kohl's Cash along with coupons – I usually choose to use it on items that are already excluded from coupon offers.
These are the BEST things to spend your Kohl's Cash on – especially while they're on sale! I've also included Jammies for your Families on the list because it's at their lowest price and it's a good time to snag them 🙂
A few more ideas:
If you're looking for even more ideas of what to buy with all that Kohl's Cash you've earned, here are a few ideas:
- Holiday Decor – Kohl's has such cute decor to choose from, and using Kohl's Cash is a great way to decorate or grab an item for a Christmas ornament exchange or something to spruce up your hoe.
- Converse – Since Converse don't often go on sale and stay the same price just about everywhere, so use your Kohl's Cash to snag them if your kids have been dreaming of these!
- Furniture – If you've got a lot of Kohl's Cash to spend, rather than nickel-and-diming it on smaller ticket items, use it towards a bigger piece of furniture you've been waiting for.
- Pajamas –we got these Cuddle Duds this week and love them ~ they fit very true to size!
- Yankee Candles – Need a last minute gift idea for a teacher or friend? Yankee candles always work and you can use that Kohl's cash to stock up so you have a few gifts ready something you need to give pops up!
See ALL Kohl's items that are excluded from coupon use here!
Can I Use Expired Kohl's Cash?
The short answer? YES!
Let's say you earned some Kohl's Cash on a recent shopping trip – but when you went to use it a couple weeks later, it had already expired.
Don't worry – Kohl's will give you a 10-day grace period to spend your hard earned cash! Just take it with you to a Kohl's Store where it will be accepted.
Can I use expired Kohl's Cash Online?
While your expired Kohl's Cash won't work when added to your cart online – YOU CAN USE IT! Just call customer service while placing an online order and they will manually add your Kohl's Cash as long as it's within the 10-day grace period.
You CAN'T Use Kohl's Cash On These Items
Although you can use Kohl's Cash for almost everything in the store – there are a few items it won't work on:
- Kohl's Cares® merchandise
- Charitable items
- Gift cards
- To pay your Kohl's credit card balance
Now that you know how Kohl's Cash Works be sure to check out these 14 secrets you need to know before you shop at Kohl's. And don't miss the rest of the crazy deals at Kohl's going on right now!