Ever wonder exactly how does Kohl's cash work? I guarantee you're not alone – check out these helpful tips and tricks to earn more and redeem smarter!
How Does Kohl's Cash Work? New Changes Starting Today!
Starting tomorrow, 9/30, Kohl's rolls out a BIG change nationwide to how Kohl's Cash works. Here are the newest updates along with the answers to ALL your other questions! (Especially details on using expired Kohl's cash…)
👀==>> Also – see the newest Kohl's Black Friday Updates!
Kohl's Cash Will No Longer Earn at $48.
During Kohl's Cash earning periods, you can get back $10 in Kohl's Cash (basically store money) for every $50 you spend. Up until now – Kohls.com clearly stated that you actually earn $10 in Kohl's Cash on any purchase $48 and up.
But that is all ending tomorrow! 🙁
In order to manage expenses resulting from the COVID storm Kohl's will be making a change to how we earn Kohl's Cash – making the $50 threshold to earn Kohl's Cash set in stone. Here's how that looks through a few dollar amounts:
- Earn $10 Kohl's Cash on a $50+ Purchase
- Earn $20 Kohl's Cash on any purchase of $100 and up.
- Score $30 Kohl's Cash on any purchase of $150 and up.
- Get $40 Kohl's Cash on your purchase of $200 and up…
While it's not ideal – there are always small filler items you can use to get your cart up to $50 when you're almost-there. Here are a couple ideas!
Kohl's Cash Filler Items
- Washcloths – $1.99
- Earth Therapeutics Facial Wipes – $2.40
- Wax Melts- $3.49
- Food Network Placemat – $3.19
- Tek Gear Men's 2pk Beanies – $4
- Tek Gear Men's 2pk Gloves – $4
- Big One Washcloth 6pk – $4.99
How Does Kohl's Cash Work?
During earning periods, Kohl's rewards your purchases with Kohl's Cash. Kohl's Cash can be used during redemption periods to purchase just about anything in the store or on their website.
- Normally Kohl's will offer $10 Kohl's Cash back for every $50 you spend (after discounts are taken into account).
- Occasionally they'll offer $5 Kohl's Cash back for every $25 spent.
- And during Kohl's Black Friday event you'll earn $15 Kohl's Cash for every $50 spent!
There's NO LIMIT to how much Kohl's Cash you can earn!
If you earn Kohl's Cash online, you'll receive it via email within 24 hours after your purchase is completed. If you've earned it in the store, the cashier will hand you a physical green Kohl's Cash “buck” that has your amount and redemption period printed on it. If you have the Kohl's App, you can also store Kohl's Cash in your “wallet”.
Double Earn with Kohl's Cash + Kohl's Rewards
Last week Kohl's rolled out new changes nationwide to simplify the way they reward customers. With Kohl's Rewards (formerly Yes2You Rewards) earn 5% on every purchase, every day – paid out in extra Kohl's Cash once you reach $5. This new program is called Kohl's Rewards.
How Kohl's Rewards Works:
Kohl's Rewards earnings are on TOP of the Kohl's Cash you earn at every $50 mark. This is like a “bonus” $5 Kohl's Cash you get here and there when you have spent enough.
- Your Kohl’s Rewards are paid out in $5 Kohl’s Cash increments on the 1st day of the month FOLLOWING the month you earned it
- Kohl's Rewards are valid for 30 days after they're issued
- Kohl's Cash earned from Kohl's Rewards will arrive via email – and if your Kohls.com account is linked to your Rewards account, it will also be auto-added to your Kohl’s Wallet.
- Use Kohl's Cash on anything except Kohl's Cares items
How to Use Kohl's Cash
Once you have Kohl's Cash in hand, you'll need to wait for the date when you're able to redeem it. Once redemption period has opened – it's time to shop!
Using your Kohl's Cash in the store is easy – you just hand it to the cashier and they'll deduct it from your total. If you're entering your Kohl's Cash online, you'll need to enter the 15 digit coupon number followed by the 4-digit pin. (There's a limit of 4 Kohl's Cash per online order)
There are a few things I don't love about redeeming Kohl's cash, and it has everything to do with coupons….
I LOVE using Kohl's Coupon codes to slash the cost of my order. I'm often able to stack codes to get an excellent deal. (More details about Kohl's code stacking here!) But when I'm using Kohl's cash to pay for merchandise – the rules get tricky….
Using Kohl's Cash WITH Coupons
So how does Kohl's Cash work against us when stacking with coupons? It's a little less straightforward than you might think because Kohl's Cash is deducted BEFORE any discounts are taken. So any coupon codes you use will have less impact because your Kohl's Cash was applied to your cart first.
Here's how that looks in a couple examples:
- If a Comforter Set costs $50, and there's a 30% OFF coupon code – the total would normally be $35
- You would think I could then add $10 Kohl's Cash I had and pay $25 total, right? Wrong!
- Instead they'll use your Kohl's cash first, making the cart total $40. THEN they'll deduct your coupon code – so you're getting less of a discount in the end. A total of $28, rather than $25.
- If a Comforter costs $50 comforter and there's a $10 off $50 Kohl's coupon code
- You would think you could FIRST use the $10 off $50 and THEN apply your Kohl's Cash, right?
- NOPE – Kiss the $10 off $50 code goodbye… because your Kohl's Cash will be applied FIRST, knocking your total down to $40. (And therefore not high enough for the coupon code to work)
How I Spend My Kohl's Cash Wisely
Because I always feel like I'm not getting my full discounts when I use Kohl's Cash along with coupons – I usually choose to use it on items that are already excluded from coupon offers. Here are the items that are typically excluded from promo codes at Kohl's:
- Under Armour
See ALL Kohl's items that are excluded from coupon use here!
Can I Use Expired Kohl's Cash?
Let's say you earned some Kohl's Cash on a recent shopping trip – but when you went to use it a couple weeks later, it had already expired.
Don't worry – Kohl's will give you a 10-day grace period to spend your hard earned cash!
Just take it with you to a Kohl's Store where it will be accepted.
Can I use expired Kohl's Cash online?
While your expired Kohl's Cash won't work when added to your cart online – YOU CAN USE IT! Just call customer service while placing an online order and they will manually add your Kohl's Cash as long as it's within the 10-day grace period.
You CAN'T Use Kohl's Cash On These Items
Although you can use Kohl's Cash for almost everything in the store – there are a few items it won't work on:
- Kohl's Cares® merchandise
- Charitable items
- Gift cards
- To pay your Kohl's Charge balance
And, if you're looking for ideas of what to buy with all that Kohl's Cash you've earned, here are a few ideas:
- Christmas Decor – Kohl's has such cute decor to choose from, and using Kohl's Cash is a great way to decorate or grab an item for a Christmas ornament exchange.
- Converse – Since Converse don't often go on sale and stay the same price just about everywhere, so use your Kohl's Cash to snag them if your kids have been dreaming of these!
- Furniture – If you've got a lot of Kohl's Cash to spend, rather than nickel-and-diming it on smaller ticket items, use it towards a bigger piece of furniture you've been waiting for.
- Nike – Since Nike and other brands rarely go on sale at Kohl's or anywhere else, use the Kohl's cash you've earned to stock up on those bigger ticket items.
- Pajamas –we got these Cuddle Duds this week and love them ~ they fit very true to size!
- Toys – Kohl's has great prices on toys, especially when you have Kohl's Cash you can put towards them.
- Yankee Candles – Need a last minute gift idea for a teacher or friend? Yankee candles always work and you can use that Kohl's cash to stock up so you have a few gifts ready something you need to give pops up!
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.