Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
This might just be the best pizza I have ever tasted.
Yup, I just saved you $30 on eating out at Mellow Mushroom this weekend. Or California Pizza Kitchen. Or wherever.
You're welcome. 😉
Seriously folks, this pizza is fantastic, and even if you have picky eaters you can make a regular (boring) pizza for them and keep this one all to yourself. Oh my gracious, so good. Love it!
Let's get started.
Garlic Chicken & White Sauce Pizza
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and chopped, or use pre-cooked chicken (I used the Italian Style Perdue Shortcuts - they were perfect)
- 1 container Publix or Pillsbury Pizza Dough I used the Publix brand
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms optional - we had them in the fridge
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- If using Publix Pizza dough, let it sit out for at least an hour to make it easy to work with. If using homemade pizza dough or Pillsbury pizza dough, roll out onto pizza pan.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees and bake pizza crust for 5 minutes (bake it for 8-9 minutes if using Publix dough - it takes longer to cook.)
- Meanwhile, saute garlic in butter on stove top for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add in milk and half & half and whisk together, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Sift flour using whisk, then slowly pour into milk mixture whisking constantly to keep it from getting lumpy.
- Add pepper, oregano, parsley and garlic salt and continue to whisk well until it thickens, for just 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Remove pizza dough from oven.
- Top with sauce, then add cooked chicken.
- Add cheese, onions and mushrooms.
- Bake at 400 for another 5-6 minutes if using Pillsbury dough, 9-10 minutes if you're using Publix dough.
- Set your oven to broil for 1-3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
If you use the Publix Pizza Dough, be sure to set the dough out on the counter for an hour so that it's easier to manage. Also, it takes longer for this to bake than I ever think it will, so be sure to pre-bake the dough so that it cooks fully through.
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 1/26/14):
- DiGiorno Parmesan Cheese BOGO $5.50 at Publix (this is the best Parmesan and I always buy an extra one when they're on sale!)
- Red Onions on sale $1.29/lb at Publix
- Perdue Short Cuts Chicken or Turkey Breast $3.99 at Publix, use $1.00/1 Perdue Short Cuts Carved Breast Strips (Zip Code 12056) – Manufacturer
- Publix Shredded Cheese $2.50
- Publix Pizza Dough (found in bakery) BOGO $2.79
- Tyson Chicken pre-cooked $4.49 at Kroger, use $1/1 Tyson Chicken coupon from the 1/19 Smart Source insert
- Kraft Cheese $1.99 at Kroger when you purchase 6 participating Mega Sale items
This post is linked up to Living Well Spending Less Thrifty Thursday – thanks for the opportunity to link up! Recipe adapted from The Best Blog Recipes. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups. If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.