FREE WORK PLANNER
Tax season is here! Here are several free Online Tax Filing tools for 2023 – each has unique features so you can choose the best online tax filing option for you.
Free Online Tax Filing Options for 2023
Ready to file your taxes?? Tax deadline is Tuesday, April 18th, 2023!
If you're ready to file your taxes, there are a bunch of free online tax filing options to choose from, and each one has their own unique features. Here are 6 FREE options that we found and a quick overview of what they bring to the table so you can find the best online tax filing option for you!
1. H&R Block
H&R Block also allows you to file both state and federal taxes for free. They offer free expert guidance and upfront pricing so you won't be surprised. H&R Block also has a maximum refund guarantee! If you find a bigger refund somewhere else, your tax prep is free.
You'll also receive 20% off next year’s tax preparation if they fail to provide any of the four benefits included in their “No Surprise Guarantee.” The benefits include 1 – Upfront Transparent Pricing, 2 – Transparent Process, 3- Free Audit Assistance, and 4- Free Midyear Tax Check-In.
You can file both state and federal taxes for free with their Basic package – either on your own (must file by 3/31) or with their full service package.
TurboTax has a maximum refund guarantee as well as a 100% accurate calculation claim. You can connect online with CPAs or EAs for tax advice, and even a line by line review if you'd like. They have a picture option for filing your W-2, so you can just snap and go. They also have the TurboTax mobile app, so you can easily keep track of where your refund is in processing while you're out and about.
3. Cash App Taxes (formerly Credit Karma Tax)
You can file both state and federal taxes for free with the free Cash App Taxes program – it's completely free with NO upsells, NO hidden fees, and NO nonsense.
Cash App Taxes also has a max refund guarantee! If you receive a larger federal tax refund amount or owe less in federal taxes using the same Tax Return Information when filing an amended 2021 federal income tax return through another online tax preparation service, you may be eligible to receive the difference in the refund or tax amount owed up to $100 (minimum $25) in the form of a gift card from Cash App Taxes.
TIP: You can also get your FREE Credit Score through Credit Karma – no credit card or payment information needed!
FreeTaxUSA always offers free federal filing. They also offer state filing, but that starts at $14.99. Their software is rated 4.8 out of 5 by their customers, with over 200 thousand reviews.
With FreeTaxUSA, you can file basic, advanced, premium, and self-employed federal taxes for $0. Or with a deluxe version (for a $6.99 fee), you can have access to priority support with live chat, unlimited amended returns, and audit assist.
TaxSlayer offers free federal and state filing with NO fees. They also have a Guaranteed Maximum Refund policy that ensures you get every dollar back that you’re entitled, or they’ll refund you the applicable amount paid. They also offer the following benefits –
- Download our free app for tax filing, resources, news, and tips at your fingertips.
- Choose direct deposit for your refund and e-file your return to get your fastest refund possible.
- They stand behind the accuracy of your return and will reimburse you in the case of any penalties.
- You have the option to deduct the cost of your TaxSlayer products and services from your federal refund instead of paying when you file.
TaxAct offers free federal returns but charges an additional fee for state filings. Right now, all TaxAct filers get Xpert Assist for no extra charge with any of their products – they also offer a money-back satisfaction guarantee.
TaxAct also offers a Maximum Refund Guarantee that ensures you will get your maximum tax refund if you use one of TaxAct's individual 1040 products to e-file your return. They also have a $100k Accuracy Guarantee so you don't have to worry if their calculations are correct – it's backed by $100k!
Tips for Filing Taxes On Your Own
- Keep an eye on Groupon – this time of year they sometime offer discounts on these tax filing services.
- If your income is under $60,000, you can file your taxes for free at IRS.gov.
- Be sure to file on time – or early!
- Don't forget your state taxes.
- If you have questions or feel like it's getting to be too much for you to handle on your own, consult your local accountant.
- Military members and their families can file taxes for free and get financial & legal resources through MilTax, a Department of Defense program.
More online deals you may want to check out: