FREE WORK PLANNER
These Carmelita Bars are so gooey and decadent and PERFECT for a special occasion or just for a fun treat. They're just divine!
If you're looking for a treat that is chewy, chocolatey, and delicious – these Carmelita Bars are the perfect fit. These layered bars combine gooey caramel with crunchy oats and chocolate chips. Your family will love these!
MENU TIP: This Carmelita Bars recipe is from the birthday plan of our celebration menu planning made easy set!
Ingredients for Carmelita Bars
- Cream or milk
- Quick cooking oats
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Milk chocolate chips
- Chopped pecans (optional)
How to make Carmelita Bars
Start by melting your caramels and cream with a small saucepan. Heat on low and stir constantly until they are thoroughly melted and combined. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix your flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the melted butter and use an electric mixer to combine.
Take half the dough and press into the bottom of a greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Then, pour almost all of the melted caramel over the base, saving a small amount for later. Spread the chocolate chips evenly over the caramel. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Crumble the rest of the dough evenly over top of the bars. Bake 12-15 minutes. Remove it from the oven and drizzle with the rest of the caramel. If your remaining caramel is a little too thick from sitting, you can pop it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to make it easier to drizzle.
Refrigerate these bars for at least 2 hours before serving to let set. Enjoy!
- 11 oz pkg Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- 6 tbsp cream or milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine caramels with cream, and heat on low, stirring constantly until thoroughly melted and combined. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add melted butter, and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Press half the dough in baking dish, and bake 8-10 minutes, Pour most of the caramel mixture evenly over the base, reserving a small amount. Spread chocolate chips evenly over caramel. Sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
- Crumble remaining dough evenly over top of bars. Bake 12-15 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven, and drizzle with reserved caramel. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting to serve.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from our brithday week from our celebration menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
Print your Free Monthly Meal Plan Calendar and join us in making yummy food for your family each night.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.