A sweet twist on the butter board trend – you don't want to miss this buttercream board!
Buttercream board – great for the holidays!
You may have seen the viral “Butter Board” trend on Instagram or Tik Tok where butter is spread out on serving trays and accompanied by yummy items to dip in the butter. We're putting a sweet twist on this trend – a buttercream board! This butter board is perfect for parties. Here's how to make it.
What is a buttercream board?
A buttercream board is perfect for parties and continues the craze of charcuterie boards, grazing tables, etc. where food is assembled in a communal area for guests to munch on. A buttercream board has two main elements: buttercream frosting that you can either spread out using a spatula or pipe from an icing decorating bag, and sweet & salty treats to dip and spread the buttercream on.
Ingredients for a buttercream board:
- Buttercream frosting – You can make your own buttercream if you have a recipe you love. For mine, I wanted a little less work so I picked up a can of Betty Crocker buttercream at the grocery store.
Frosting hack: Even though the can says “whipped”, use the whisk attachment on your hand mixer and whip it up a little bit more inside the can! It helps to make the frosting really fluffy and light, and it's easier to spread or pipe!
- Dippers – You want to include a variety of foods to dip in your buttercream. I would recommend sturdier items like pretzels or cookies for optimal dipping. You can use softer items like cake but I would recommend having a spreader nearby to use, otherwise the cake might crumble into the frosting and get a little messy. I went with a mixture of salty and sweet items and it was the perfect variety!
Some ideas for great dippers include:
-Pretzels or pretzel sticks
-Chocolate chip cookies
-Rice Krispie treats
Making your board
- Start by preparing your buttercream frosting and ingredients.
Hint: I put all my dippers and frosting in a divided tray for easy access and assembly!
- Add your buttercream. I used a decorative icing bag to pipe the frosting across the board. You can get creative with this part, but make sure there is enough frosting for the guests you're serving. I went with a line down the middle, and two sets of little roses. I am not the best frosting artist so I was pretty proud of my basic swirls! You can use a pencil to sketch a line you want to follow first or just wing it.
How cute would this be for a Christmas party with a little green food coloring in the shape of a tree!
- Start adding your dippers. You want to fill in the space around the board similar to charcuterie boards you see. It doesn't have to be packed in too tightly, but it looks the most presentable when space is primarily filled in. There isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to placing your dippers, just add them in little groups around the board, and it's okay if they slightly touch the frosting.
How do you eat a buttercream board?
The buttercream board is perfect for gathering around with family or friends and digging in. Pick up your dipper, run it through the delicious frosting, and eat! It's great for parties, game night, movie night – the possibilities are endless.
If you want a more formal serving option or have a larger party, you can place a couple serving spreaders and spoons around your board with dessert plates for guests to scoop their frosting and dippers. You might use more frosting this way, so I'd recommend to keep a little extra on hand to refill during the party.
SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.
Leave a Reply