FREE WORK PLANNER
This BBQ Turkey Breast is incredibly juicy and flavorful. It makes the perfect turkey breast!
BBQ Turkey Breast
This BBQ Turkey Breast is the perfect, yummy dinner whether you're celebrating something special or just want to add a little comfort food to your weeknight routine. It's full of flavor thanks to the homemade barbecue rub and cooks right in your slow cooker so there's no babysitting the bird all day.
With about 10 minutes of prep time, this turkey breast is so easy to make and is sure to become one of your family's favorite dinners! Here's how to whip it up:
- Bone-in turkey breast
- 1/2 cup barbecue rub (use your own or follow our homemade recipe below)
- Yellow onion
For the homemade barbecue rub:
- Smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
- Brown sugar
- Chili powder
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
MENU TIP: This Barbecue Turkey Breast recipe is from week 6 of our slow cooker volume 1 menu planning made easy set!
How to make Turkey in the Slow Cooker
To make the rub, combine all the spices and mix thoroughly in a large bowl. You'll have extra after this recipe so store in a dark, cool place in an air-tight container.
For the turkey, start by removing the giblets and giving your turkey a good rinse and dry. Grab your barbecue rub and cover the turkey inside and out, rubbing the spices into the skin and pushing some under the skin.
Place your chopped onion into the turkey cavity and stick the turkey into your slow cooker skin-side up.
Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours. Once it's done, let it rest and slice to serve.
How long do you cook a turkey breast?
You'll want to cook your turkey breast in the slow cooker on low 5-7 hours or until it reaches 165 degrees internal temperature. A meat thermometer like this one comes in handy for cooking poultry to ensure it's done without over cooking.
Barbecue Turkey Breast
- 4-7 lb bone-in turkey breast
- 1/2 cup favorite barbecue rub or homemade rub below
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
Homemade Barbecue Rub
- 1/2 cup smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated garlic
- 6 tbsp granulated onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Remove giblets from turkey, and rinse the turkey well with water. Dry thoroughly.
- Cover the turkey breast with the barbecue rub, inside and out, pressing it to stick to the meat and pushing some up under the skin.
- Place the onion chunks inside the turkey cavity, and place the turkey skin side up in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 5-7 hours, or until it reaches 165℉ internal temperature.
- Let rest, and slice to serve.
- Note: To make rub, combine all of the ingredients and mix thoroughly in a large bowl. Store in a dark, cool place in a sealed container.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week six of our slow cooker volume 1 menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
Print your Free Monthly Meal Plan Calendar and join us in making yummy food for your family each night.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.