Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
I've made Barbecue Chicken Wraps before, Barbecue Chicken Pizza, and even Barbecue Chicken Stuffed Potatoes, but for whatever reason I've never thought to try out Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas. Well, when I saw an idea for a recipe over on Pinterest (that didn't include all that much of a recipe) I decided to tackle it myself! Oh my heavens, they turned out so well ~ and I loved having a new simple meal to add to our weeknight dinner rotation.
They're super simple to make, and you could use any cooked chicken that you have on hand. I decided to use the Tyson Grilled Ready Chicken since it's on sale at Publix this week, and since we'd grabbed some BOGO Sticky Fingers Barbecue Sauce in last week's sale I knew we'd be all set. Here's what you'll need . . .
(we used the Multi Grain Tortillas from Publix on sale for $1.50 in the Advantage Buy Flier ~ they were perfect, but you could use any type of tortilla. . . I was just excited these were a *little* on the health side!)
First chop your onions . . .
Then melt your butter in a skillet on low heat. . .
Saute the onions in the butter until they begin to become transparent
In a separate pan, add the chicken
And the barbecue sauce
Then heat the barbecue sauce and chicken over medium heat until warm.
Remove your onions from the skillet, and place your soft taco shell in the skillet. Add about 3/4 cup barbecue chicken mixture, 1/4 cup cheese, and 1/4 cup onions, then spread it all around evenly. . .
Cover with another taco shell, and cook 2-3 minutes on medium heat, watching carefully not to burn
Ever so carefully, flip that quesadilla over (I'm not gonna lie ~ it's a mess, but worth it . . . the melted chicken cheese mixture that ended up on my stove still tasted just delicious) 😉
Then use pizza cutter to cut into quarters and serve. Yum!
Barbecue Chicken Quesadilla
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- Melt butter over low-medium heat on stove.
- Saute onions in butter about 5-7 minutes, until cooked.
- Meanwhile, add chicken and barbecue sauce to pan on stovetop. Heat over low-medium heat until warmed through.
- Remove onions from pan, add tortilla.
- Fill tortilla with some of the barbecue chicken mixture, cheese, and onions.
- Cover with additional tortilla.
- Cook quesadilla for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned and flip over.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Using pizza cutter, slice into quarters and enjoy!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.