FREE HOME PLANNING
This baked sweet and sour chicken makes the most flavorful chicken dish that is better than takeout! It's got the perfect sweet and sour punch and is delicious. Give it a try!
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
If you want all the flavor of take out but don't want to spend the money, check out this baked sweet and sour chicken recipe. It is SO good and the chicken is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It's got the perfect tang and you can customize it however you'd like for your family!
If you're loving this sweet and sour chicken bake, you can find it in our 5 ingredient Menu Planning Made Easy box set!
This one does take a bit of prep – but it is oh so worth it!
Here's what you need for this Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe:
- chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- vegetable oil
- white vinegar
- soy sauce (low sodium)
- garlic salt
How to do Sweet and Sour Baked Chicken:
The secret to a crispy outside and juicy inside on this sweet & sour chicken is to first cook the chicken in a skillet BEFORE cooking in the oven. And while this recipe takes a bit of time to whip up, you'll be so thankful once you taste it!
Once you have your chicken cubed, go ahead and beat your eggs. To your chicken, add salt and pepper (to taste) as well as the cornstarch and coat well. Next, dip the chicken in the egg and get your vegetable oil going in a pan. Put the chicken pieces into the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 1 – 2 minutes. Place on a paper towel lined plate to allow the excess oil to drain off.
Add your chicken to a greased 13 x 9 baking dish and then make up your sauce. Put the sauce over the chicken and then cook in a 350 degree preheated oven for about 45 – 50 minutes.
Cooking the chicken this way keeps it crispy on the outside and moist on the inside – SO good!
Serve over veggies, cauliflower rice, rice, or just with a side of egg rolls and dinner is done.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit
- In a large bowl, season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cornstarch, and gently toss to combine. Working one piece at a time, dip chicken into eggs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add chicken, and cook until golden brown, about 1 - 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil.
- Place chicken into a greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sweet and sour sauce ingredients, and pour evenly over chicken.
- Bake 1 hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes to evenly coat the chicken.
Can I use a different kind of vinegar?
You can! It might slightly change the flavor, but if you don't have regular white vinegar, you can use apple cider vinegar or even rice wine vinegar.
Can I add pineapple or other veggies to this recipe?
Of course! Feel free to add pineapple, peppers, onions, extra rice – whatever your family prefers. This is a super customizable recipe, so make it your own!
If you're looking for more delicious meals, our 5 ingredients menu planning made easy box set has 72 delicious recipes PLUS a weekly grocery list. We also have freezer meals, low calorie meals, and slow cooker meals!
FREE HOME PLANNING CHECKLISTS!
Download your FREE checklists now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.