Folks, I'm not going to lie . . . I'm an online shopping addict.
Well, within reason for a passionate penny pincher. 🙂
After spending years running around to every store in town during the Christmas season, the last few years I've shopped at home right from the comfort of my sofa, and absolutely love how convenient it is to (usually) get the best prices on just about everything I buy.
Curious why I choose to shop online for about 95% of my Christmas shopping? Here's why:
1. My items are delivered to my front door by the amazingly sweet UPS man, FedEx driver or our postal worker.
I love that.
2. I take advantage of the very best deals because I can research several different stores from my computer. I typically do a quick google search to see how things are really priced at several different stores, then make my purchases.
3. I save (a lot) of money by skipping the temptation to purchase things I don't need just because they're way too cute to pass over in the store. Because I'm ordering things online I don't see all the clutter that I really don't need!
So, how do I make sure that I'm really getting the best deal? Here are a few online shopping secrets you need to know:
- Always check for a coupon code. Almost every store online offers coupon codes, so take advantage of them when you shop! My favorite coupon code sites are Coupon Sherpa and Retail Me Not.
- Don't pay for shipping. Just. don't. If you can, combine orders so that you reach the minimum amount you'll need to enjoy free shipping with your order. Typically I have multiple people to buy gifts for during the Christmas season, so if I'm close to getting free shipping from a site I'll finish up gift shopping there for another person to skip the extra $5-$8 fee.
And remember that many stores offer free shipping to store, so if you have a brick and mortar store in your area, choose in store pickup to opt out of paying for delivery.
- Use the google shopping tool and do some price research. Before purchasing, do a quick search on Google using their shopping tool (just type in the item you're searching for in the search box, then click “shopping”.) While this will get you most offers available on items, I always do one more quick search at Amazon, eBay and Kohl's because those sites sometimes don't pull up at the top of the Google shopping features. (And don't forget, Kohl's is always offering extra promo codes and Kohl's cash which often makes your purchases cheaper there!)
- Guys, my honest favorite tool ever is CamelCamelCamel.com for price research. It allows you to do a quick search of what the lowest price ever on Amazon was for just about anything, and that way I always know if I'm getting a deal really on any site because I always know the price history before shopping.
Now I'm not gonna lie ~ I'm a little hesitant to share info like that because honestly, if you shop through CamelCamelCamel.com I'll potentially lose an affiliate commission (read more HERE), on items you purchase through them. But I really do want you to save big (goodness, I want you to save HUGE), and this is one resource that I just love!
- Be sure to make a list of things you'll need before Christmas that you don't purchase online and make a detailed list before heading out to shop. While the bulk of my shopping is done online, I still usually purchase gift wrap, a few stocking stuffers, and some last minute gifts at local stores in our area. To make that shopping go more smoothly, I always keep a list on hand.
Be sure to keep up with daily deals here on PPP. Folks, all year long (and especially during the Christmas season), we work really hard to make sure you never miss any hot deals. While we don't post every single item out there, we do the best we can to make sure the big ticket items are shown here!
Be sure to join the PPP Private Savings Group on Facebook and you can also sign up for free text alerts of the very best deals (no more than one per day.) And while I love you all hanging out with PPP on the main PPP Facebook page, you may be missing a few deals over there so be sure to sign up for free daily penny pinched emails too!
What tips do you have for saving big when shopping online? Leave a comment to share how you save big!
Looking for more tips on ways to save this Christmas season? Here you go!
- Download your free Ultimate Aldi, Costco, Sam's, Target & Walmart Baking Price Comparison Sheet
- 10 Christmas Gifts Under $10 For Him
- 10 Lego Sets $10 Or Less
- Should You Buy Christmas Gifts at Costco
- 10 Easy Ways to Save on Christmas Decorating
- 33 Deals You Need to Buy at the Dollar Tree The Christmas Edition
- 6 Things You Need to Do Before Christmas Shopping
- Pay Cash for Christmas: 17 Simple Ways to Earn $500 By Christmas Day
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.