While schools are closed during the COVID-19 outbreak, families everywhere are finding themselves with kids at home needing brain stimulation. Here are lots of fun and free educational resources you can check out for your kiddos. Find everything to keep the kids learning – from writing prompts and mechanical engineering projects, to virtual zoo field trips and celebrity story time!
NOTE: Make sure you check out how to get FREE Internet from Spectrum and Comcast during the Coronavirus school closings.
1. ReadingIQ – Can't go to the library? Get a FREE 1-Month Trial of ReadingIQ to get your kids reading new books and setting reading goals. No ads, just a digital library that also includes audiobooks. (See our review here)
3. AdventureAcademy – FREE 1-Month Trial for new users – this massive-multiplayer-online game meets school in this fun platform for 8-13 year olds (think Fortnite!)
- Or for younger kids try ABCMouse with a free 1-month trial as well.
4. Storyline Online – Such a fun one – kids are read books aloud by authors and celebrities – like the newest book read by Hopper from Stranger Things
NOTE: Dolly Parton began TONIGHT reading Imagination Library books online – go here to see the live broadcast in replay!
5. Scholastic – 5-Day Online Curriculum (with cool articles, videos and more) available by grade level (Plus other resources as well!)
6. Mo Willems Lunch Doodles – Each day at noon, artist Mo Willems (of Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus) does delightful lunch doodles with the kids at home. See episode one HERE and episode two HERE and find all the episodes HERE.
10. Minecraft Education Edition– Learn how to code, do distance learning, common core
11. 6 Hours of Soothing Music – NPR has put together a 6-hour stream of soothing music, perfect for kids to have playing in the background while working or reading, or if they're feeling anxious.
12. IXL – Curriculum for all grades through 12th – EXCELLENT learning platform.
13. Engineering Activities for Kids – Very cool lessons in mechanical engineering activities with links to mechanical engineering videos too.
14. FREE Dr. Panda Apps – These fun learning apps are regularly $4 each – but free for a limited time
17. 150 Activities for Kids to Do (while parents are working) – Nice public spreadsheet of ideas, with things like scavenger hunts, trampoline jumping and soap sculpting.
Field Trips and Tours of Parks and Museums:
18. 30 Virtual Field Trips – Explore everything from Mars to Zoo and Aquarium Animal Cams to the Great Wall of China
19. National Park Virtual Tours – Check out many National Parks via Google Earth slideshows – and plan your next fun family trip right from your couch 🙂
20. 12 Virtual Museum Tours – Do a walk-through visit of several museums at home!
21. HelloGiggles – Virtual Museum Tours
22. Ivy League Courses for FREE – Check out over 450 Ivy League courses you can take for free – a good challenge for the gifted kids going crazy at home.
If you know of a good educational resources – we'd love to hear all about it! Please leave a comment to let us know and we'll add it to the list 🙂
FREEZER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample of the freezer menus!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.