FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET DOWNLOAD!
10 Things You Need To Know Before Shopping TJMaxx
Do you just love shopping TJMaxx?
Here are some things you should definitely look for at TJMaxx before paying full price elsewhere, as well as a few secrets to TJMaxx shopping you may not have known before.
1. Want to save big at TJMaxx? Shop Wednesdays. TJ Maxx offers their biggest savings on Wednesdays when they mark down merchandise. This does vary some by store, but this is generally the best day to watch for markdowns as well as new items because they typically re-stock shelves during the week.
Several folks have shared that this is no longer true. If you know any insider tips on this one, I'd love to hear them!
Watch your TJMaxx clearance sections to find the biggest savings, and since Wednesday is typically their markdown day you'll guarantee things aren't too picked over when you shop.
2. Shop TJMaxx for high end shoes.
I didn't expect to see the kind of savings that I found on shoes at TJMaxx, but you can save big at TJMaxx in their shoe department! My daughter was with me, and found two pairs of Nike Sneakers that she liked. We did a little price checking, and here's how their prices stacked up:
- Nike Women's Dual Fusion Run $49.99 at TJMaxx, $87 at Amazon (crazy!)
- Nike Women's Dual Fusion Run 2 $39.99 at TJMaxx, $78 at Amazon
3. TJMaxx has better prices on the same brand clothing that you'll find in big department stores.
TJMaxx purchases the same items as Nordstrom or Macy's, because they're an “off-price buyer”. If a vendor like Polo or Lucky Jeans produces 300,000 items but the big stores only purchase 250,000, they'll sell the remaining items to off-price buyers like TJMaxx, which means you'll save on current season clothing!
I've found Ralph Lauren Men's Polos for my son for as low as $19 at TJMaxx, compared to $30 at the outlet stores (or even more in department stores.) Prices definitely vary, but just like you find a “stock up price” at your local grocery store grocery stores you can determine your “stock up price” on items your family regularly buys. (My son loves Ralph Lauren clothing so I know $19 for their polos is a good price, and we've been lucky enough to find them for that price or less at TJMaxx, Schoola, and even Goodwill.)
4. Watch TJMaxx for prices on hair care products.
TJMaxx has great prices on hair care products, including hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons and more. Just as an example, I noticed this FHI Heat Go Ceramic Styling Iron for $14.99 at TJMaxx. Head over to Amazon where it's priced at $39.99 (ouch!) – definitely worth watching for at TJmaxx.
5. If you notice an item at TJMaxx is slightly damaged but you still would like it, ask for a discount. They may be able to discount your price, and it never hurts to nicely ask!
6. TJ Maxx has hugely discounted prices on sunglasses (priced as low as $7.99 . . . )
And exercise equipment.
Just like you'll save on clothing because TJMaxx is an off price buyer, you'll get those savings on things like sunglasses, exercise equipment, and all kinds of odds and ends throughout the store. They also have fantastic prices on high end purses, luggage & more!
7. TJMaxx has great prices on fragrances.
Because TJMaxx doesn't pay for the staff and display areas that local department stores do in their fragrance department, you can save a bundle on fragrances and perfumes at TJMaxx. Do a quick search on your Smartphone to guarantee you're getting a better price (also make sure the boxes are still intact), and you can save big on those items.
8. TJMaxx offers great prices on home decor.
If you're looking for furniture and accessories to fluff up your home, don't miss the great deals on home decor at TJMaxx. TJMaxx has a huge selection of housewares, including rugs, tables, lamps and so much more at hugely discounted prices.
Also keep your eye out for their great prices on baskets,
glassware, pet supplies, curtains, bedding and more.
9. Don't miss the savings on party supplies at TJMaxx.
TJMaxx has high end party favors and gift bags for as low as $1.49, which are better quality than the ones you'll find at the Dollar Tree for just a few cents more.
10. Don't expect personalized service at TJMaxx (although the employees are usually very nice!)
One of the reasons TJMaxx sells items at deeply discounted prices (in addition to being an off price buyer) is because their overhead is just less than your local department store. TJMaxx isn't paying employees to man every area of the store like you would expect to see at Macy's or Nordstrom, so you get the benefits of those savings. If you like extra help when shopping TJMaxx may not be the place for you, but if you're looking to easily save big it's a great place to start.
Note – The employees at TJMaxx are VERY nice, there just aren't usually an abundance of them like you might find at a large department store.
And one final fun fact that I noticed this week at the store ~ Sierra Trading Post is part of the TJMaxx companies. (Did you know that?) In case you're curious, here are the stores that are part of the TJMaxx company:
- Home Goods
- Sierra Trading Post
Anyone else ready to head on out to TJMaxx with me today?
(And, as a friendly penny pincher's reminder, you might want to keep this one simple question in your mind before you shop TJMaxx. Because, as awesome as those deals are at TJMaxx, they're not worth busting your budget for, got it?) 😉
Looking for more posts like this? Here you go:
- 22 Items You Need to Look for at Ikea
- How to Turn Your Smartphone into a Fitbit
- 7 Stores You Need to Shop When Decorating on a Budget
- What to Buy at the Dollar Tree
- How to Make Homemade Chalk Paint
- Goodwill Chair Makeover
- Baby Shower on a Budget
FREE BUDGET WORKSHEET!
Download your FREE worksheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.