FREE WORK PLANNER
One of my favorite pasta meals ever is Stuffed Pasta Shells. (Although, after trying out that Scooter's Spaghetti Recipe a few weeks back I'm not quite sure that anything will quite live up to that one . . . mmmmmm. . .) I was looking for a slightly lightened up version of our regular Stuffed Shells though, and this one hit the spot! They're simple to make, yummy, and if you're a Publix shopper there are some great prices on these items this week. (You'll feed EIGHT people for just $8, including main dish, salad & bread . . .WOW!)
I love that the calories are right at 500 calories per serving. Add a side salad to round out your meal without adding too many extra calories, or if your family loves Garlic Bread you can add a little Cole's for just $.49 this week. The best part is that your meal won't taste at all lightened up or penny pinched!
Spinach Stuffed Shells with Marinara Sauce adapted from Macaroni & Cheesecake
Ingredients – For the Shells
- 12 oz Jumbo Shells Mueller's Jumbo Shells BOGO $2.30
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups part skim ricotta cheese Sorrento Ricotta Cheese On Sale $3.50, use $1/1 Sorrento Ricotta Cheese, exp. 5/31/12 (SS 02/12/12)
- 2 cups 2% milk reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded $0.50/2 Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese Product printable stacked with $1/2 Kraft Cheese Item Target printable if considered a competitor
- 1 egg
- 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained $0.60/3 Green Giant Frozen Boxed Vegetables, exp. 3/3/12 (GM 01/08/12)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan $1/2 Kraft Cheese Item Target printable if considered a competitor
stacked with $1/1, $0.55/1 Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese, exp. 3/15/12 (SS 02/12/12)
Ingredients – For the Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can Spaghetti Sauce $1.50/2 Bertolli Pasta Sauces Target printable if considered a competitor
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Boil water and cook shells according to package directions ~ about fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, add spaghetti sauce & 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning to sauce pan, simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375.
- While pasta & sauce are cooking, mix together ricotta, egg, spinach, mozzarella, Italian Seasoning, parmesan, & salt & pepper.
- Once shells are cooked, you may rinse them in a little cold water to cool. Cover bottom of baking dish lightly with pasta sauce mixture.
- Stuff shells with cheese, then place in baking dish. Add remaining pasta sauce, and bake, covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 4 minutes.
Serve with . . .
$.50/1 Coles Garlic Bread (must register)
Fresh Express Salad Blends BOGO $1.99 at Publix
$1.50/2 Wish-Bone Salad Dressings Target printable if considered a competitor, Stack with $0.65/2, $0.50/1, $0.70/1 Wish-Bone Dressing, exp. 2/26/12 (RP 01/29/12)
Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Gallery, and you can also see more recipe ideas over on my Pinterest board!
Interact with 7674+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!