One of my favorite pasta meals ever is Stuffed Pasta Shells. (Although, after trying out that Scooter's Spaghetti Recipe a few weeks back I'm not quite sure that anything will quite live up to that one . . . mmmmmm. . .) I was looking for a slightly lightened up version of our regular Stuffed Shells though, and this one hit the spot! They're simple to make, yummy, and if you're a Publix shopper there are some great prices on these items this week. (You'll feed EIGHT people for just $8, including main dish, salad & bread . . .WOW!)
I love that the calories are right at 500 calories per serving. Add a side salad to round out your meal without adding too many extra calories, or if your family loves Garlic Bread you can add a little Cole's for just $.49 this week. The best part is that your meal won't taste at all lightened up or penny pinched!
Spinach Stuffed Shells with Marinara Sauce adapted from Macaroni & Cheesecake
Ingredients – For the Shells
- 12 oz Jumbo Shells Mueller's Jumbo Shells BOGO $2.30
- 1 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups part skim ricotta cheese Sorrento Ricotta Cheese On Sale $3.50, use $1/1 Sorrento Ricotta Cheese, exp. 5/31/12 (SS 02/12/12)
- 2 cups 2% milk reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded $0.50/2 Kraft Natural Shredded Cheese Product printable stacked with $1/2 Kraft Cheese Item Target printable if considered a competitor
- 1 egg
- 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained $0.60/3 Green Giant Frozen Boxed Vegetables, exp. 3/3/12 (GM 01/08/12)
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan $1/2 Kraft Cheese Item Target printable if considered a competitor
stacked with $1/1, $0.55/1 Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese, exp. 3/15/12 (SS 02/12/12)
Ingredients – For the Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can Spaghetti Sauce $1.50/2 Bertolli Pasta Sauces Target printable if considered a competitor
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Boil water and cook shells according to package directions ~ about fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, add spaghetti sauce & 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning to sauce pan, simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 375.
- While pasta & sauce are cooking, mix together ricotta, egg, spinach, mozzarella, Italian Seasoning, parmesan, & salt & pepper.
- Once shells are cooked, you may rinse them in a little cold water to cool. Cover bottom of baking dish lightly with pasta sauce mixture.
- Stuff shells with cheese, then place in baking dish. Add remaining pasta sauce, and bake, covered for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 4 minutes.
Serve with . . .
$.50/1 Coles Garlic Bread (must register)
Fresh Express Salad Blends BOGO $1.99 at Publix
$1.50/2 Wish-Bone Salad Dressings Target printable if considered a competitor, Stack with $0.65/2, $0.50/1, $0.70/1 Wish-Bone Dressing, exp. 2/26/12 (RP 01/29/12)
Visit I Heart Publix for more coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Gallery, and you can also see more recipe ideas over on my Pinterest board!
Interact with 7674+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.