FREE 2023 Home Planner Sneak Peek!
Enter to win this week's $40 Sam's Club Gift Card Giveaway!
My hubby took charge of tonight's pics . . . not necessarily a good thing. But they sure were delicious!
Any of you local readers have probably visited Lawler's Barbecue, a fantastic barbecue place here in North Alabama that makes some amazing Loaded Stuffed Potatoes. Well, when I saw that Publix had their Boston Butt roasts on sale for $1.99, I knew that was my meat deal to work with this week, but I wasn't sure what to do with it! Luckily I happened upon this simply fantastic recipe (which I adapted for my slow cooker), and let me tell you . . . you gotta make these this week. 🙂
My crock pot did all the work, so all I had to do was pop a few potatoes in the oven at the end of the day (now that's my kind of cooking!) This fantastic pulled pork recipe would also be great for barbecue sandwiches (just add a little sauce if you'd like it) or pulled pork salads. Itmakes a lot, so you'll have plenty of leftovers to get you through the weekend!
Note: To make this recipe as delicious as it should be, marinade your pork in the brine solution overnight, then cook all day in the slow cooker. So, hurry out and grab your roast now so you can get cooking!
Ingredients – Dry Rub
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. ground pepper
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 cup brown sugar $0.50/2 Domino Brown or Confectioners Sugar, exp. 11/25/11 (RP 08/28/11 R)
- 4-6 lb. Boston Butt Roast On Sale $1.99/lb (ours was about 4 1/2 pounds and made tons!)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 qts. cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp. dry rub mix
- Baking Potatoes On sale 5 lb bag – $3.49
- Cheddar Cheese Publix Shredded Cheese On Sale $2.50, use $1/2 Market Pantry Shredded or Block Cheese Target printable
- Sour Cream
- Barbecue Sauce Bull's-Eye Barbecue Sauce BOGO $2.18, use $0.55/1 Bull's Eye or Kraft Barbecue Sauce (Kraft Food & Family)
- Butter or Margarine Shedd's Spread Country Crock BOGO $2.40, use $0.75/1 Shedd's Spread Country Crock printable
- Salt & Pepper
- Mix cold water and salt well until the salt has dissolved. Add brown sugar, 3 tbsp. of dry rub, and bay leaves and sitr until thoroughly combined.
- Rinse pork shoulder and place in large ziploc container, then pour the brine solution over the roast so that the roast is completely covered. Cover and place in the fridge overnight (or at least eight hours.)
- Remove roast from bag, pat with dry paper towels, and use dry rub ingredients to completely cover the roast. (Make sure to thoroughly rub ingredients into the entire roast!)
- Place roast in slow cooker fat side up to cook. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, a little longer depdending on the age of your slow cooker. (I know that sounds crazy, but my older slow cooker takes about eight hours consistently, while my newer one has everything cooked in around 6 1/2 to 7 hours!)
- About an hour before roast is ready, bake potatoes. (I usually drizzle a little olive oil and kosher salt on my potatoes before cooking.)
- Serve potatoes topped with all the fixings. Here's the order my husband recommends (he apparently has studied the Lawler's stuffed potatoes more thoroughly than I have . . . ) First add butter and sour cream, then cheese. Squish potato together (do you see him squishing it below?) Then add pork, sauce, and salt and pepper if desired. And, oh my goodness . . . if you have some chives be sure to add those too! 😉
Recipe adapted from Kevin and Amanda. (I'd never seen their website before, however after trying this recipe out I think I'll be visiting very frequently – the site is just beautiful and the recipes look amazing!) Also thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and visit $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index.