I'm not sure that I knew that I even liked carrot cake, but after watching Paula making this last week (while I was suffering on the treadmill. . . ), I just had to try it. (Do you think she'd adopt me? And did you know she uses Publix brand powdered sugar?)
Sorry to ramble . . . but oh my goodness, this is some heaven-sent cake! Just one little warning though: this is a three-layer cake. Do not try to stuff it into two layers like I did because it won't work! (Well, it will, but you'll have to give it a little extra tlc in the end!)
Here's how to make this divine Carrot Cake . . . if you try it, you have to come back and tell me about it because I can't wait to hear what you think!
- Butter, for pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease & flour three 9 inch pans (Sister Schubert Roll pans work great if you don't have enough pans around your house!)
- Line bottom of pans with parchment paper I skipped this step, however they were a little difficult to get out of the pans. They did come out, but the parchment paper would have helped!
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add eggs and vegetable oil. Blend until combined.
- Add carrots and pecans (pecans optional).
- Pour into pans. Bake for 40 minutes. Cool for 4 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 stick salted butter, room temperature
- 1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix all ingredients except the nuts into a medium bowl & beat until fluffy with a mixter. Stir in the nuts. Spread over each cake layer. Stack the cakes and serve . . . yummmmmm!
Recipe from Paula Deen at Food Network. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index. Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.