Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Looking for a new recipe to spice up plain old Taco Tuesday? This one's for you. 😉
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- 1 can whole kernel corn drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes or Rotel do not drain
- 3 cups French's fried onions
- 1-2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef until done. Drain.
- Stir in taco seasoning, corn (drained), canned tomatoes or Rotel (not drained) and French fried onions. Spread into the bottom of a 2 1/2 Quart size dish or a 9X13 dish.
- Prepare muffin mix according to package directions (if you use a 9X13 you may need 2 boxes of Jiffy).
- Spread the muffin mix on top of the beef mixture to cover it. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until cornbread is golden on top.
- Top with cheese and remaining French fried onions. Return to oven until cheese is melted about 2 - 3 minutes. Serve with sour cream. 🙂
Recipe adapted from Southern Plate
Love Mexican? Try out a few more of my favorites:
- Mexican Lasagna
- White Chicken Cheesy Enchilada Bake
- Chicken Enchilada Bake
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchiladas
- Taco Meat in the Slow Cooker
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
SUMMER SURVIVAL KIT SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.
How do you divide the onions between base and topping. I’m not sure how much of the 3 cups to reserve.
Hi Jo ~ you can do half and half! So 1 1/2 cups stirred in, and 1 1/2 cups on top! 🙂 Hope that helps!
Tracie Turinese says
Is this in one of the PP menu plans? Which one? Thanks!
Kristen ~ PPP Team says
Hi Tracie, we do not have that exact recipe in our meal plans but we did tweak that one and added it to our Summer Menu Plan and it’s so yummy!! 🙂
Can you freeze this casserole successfully?
Catherine Luplow says
Delish! I omitted the onions (too much fat) and added drained and rinsed black beans. Even the picky 7 yo that doesn’t like beans ate it!