FREE 5 Ingredients or Less
Menus Sneak Peek!
Do you need to free up a little stove-top space on Thanksgiving, but not sure what to scoot off the stove? Try making these simple potatoes ahead of time, and then let them warm up all day in the slow cooker. These potatoes are pretty fantastic before you let them warm, but the yummy flavors cook up perfectly once cooked all day. I found this recipe last year over at A Year of Slowcooking (I love that site!) and posted it back in 2010, but decided it was a great time to pull it out again.
Slow Cooked Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 block cream cheese (I used light) Kraft Philadelphia Cram Cheese, tub or brick, 8 oz pkg – $1.25, use $0.50/2 Philadelphia Cream Cheeses Target printable if considered a competitor, $0.55/1 Select Philadelphia or Kraft Cheeses (Kraft Food & Family), $1.25/3 Select Kraft Dessert Brands, exp. 3/31/12 (Deliciously Simple Holiday Recipes)
- 1 cup sour cream (I used light) $1/2 Breakstone's Sour Cream printable
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. dried parsley
- Wash and peel potatoes (I peeled them completely but you could leave some of the skin on if you want to.) Cut in quarters, and place in a large pot, then cover completely with water.
- Bring the potatoes to boil on stove top and boil for 10 minutes or until tender. Take 1/2 cup of the water out of the pot and add the bouillon cube to the water. Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Put cream cheese in pot with potatoes, add sour cream. Pour the water in with the bouillon cube also. Add parsley and garlic powder.
- Mash with a potato masher. After smashing well, put potatoes in 4-6 qt crockpot. Cook on high for 2 hours or low on four hours (I opted for low on four hours). These can be kept warm as long as you need them to (if your crockpot has a warm setting), so this is a perfect recipe for Thanksgiving Day to keep warm while you cook up all the rest of your dishes. 🙂
Thanks so much to Stephanie at A Year of Slowcooking for this yummy recipe! Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the the Recipe Gallery.
Interact with 6335+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
5 INGREDIENTS MENU PLAN SAMPLE
Download your FREE recipes now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.