FREE WORK PLANNER
This crockpot pepper steak is delicious and SO tender from cooking in the slow cooker. SO good, easy to make, and versatile!
Crockpot Pepper Steak
This crockpot pepper steak is the perfect workday or weekend recipe. Let it slow cook all day and come home to good ‘ol comfort food! Serve over these make-ahead mashed potatoes and you'll earn Rock-Star status with your family! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Menu Tip! This delicious recipe is from week 12 of our Freezer Menu Planning Made Easy Set – it's got 72 different recipes as well as your weekly grocery list all in one spot.
Ingredients needed for pepper steak:
- chuck roast
- yellow onion
- green and red bell peppers
- low-sodium soy sauce
How to make pepper steak:
Place roast, onions, peppers, 1 cup water and garlic in a slow cooker. If making for a freezer meal go ahead and place those ingredients in a gallon-size zip-top bag and put in the freezer.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours. (If making from frozen let thaw in the refrigerator 1-2 days and then place all ingredients in slow cooker and follow cooking instructions.)
When the roast is done remove it from the slow cooker. Transfer vegetables and juices to a large saucepan, and bring to a boil.
Mix the cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar until smooth then go ahead and stir into the vegetable mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
Cut beef into slices or shred, and return to slow cooker.
Pour vegetable mixture over beef, and stir gently. Replace the lid on the slow cooker, and let cook on low another 30 minutes.
Serve the crockpot pepper steak by itself or kick it up a notch and serve over rice or mashed potatoes.
Can you put raw steak in a slow cooker?
Yes! Slow cookers work amazing with raw meat and are completely safe. In fact it's one of our favorite ways to cook! That's why we have 2 different menu plans dedicated completely to slow cooking. You can find our Slow Cooker Volume 1 and Slow Cooker Volume 2 Menu Plans HERE.
What steak is best for slow cooker?
These meats are meant to cook low and slow (otherwise they are cuts that are on the tougher side). Browning these meats first in a skillet (or slow cooker that browns and slow cooks like our favorite All Clad Slow Cooker) and then transferring to your crockpot will really enhance the flavor. Be sure to add any extra juices and brown bits from the pot over to the slow cooker as well. Those brown bits are where the action is, haha! 🙂
Crockpot Pepper Steak
- slow cooker
- 3 lb chuck roast
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 large red pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tsps sugar
- In a gallon-size zip-top bag, place roast, onion, peppers, 1 cup water and garlic. Label, and freeze.
- When ready to cook, thaw in refrigerator 1-2 days.
- Place contents of bag into slow cooker. Cover, and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker. Transfer vegetables and juices to a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar until smooth; stir into vegetable mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook until thickened, about 1-2 minutes.
- Cut beef into slices or shred, and return to slow cooker. Pour vegetable mixture over beef, and stir gently. Replace the lid on the slow cooker, and let heat 30 minutes. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes, if desired.
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from week twelve of our freezer menu plans, including this meal + 59 other AMAZING recipes (and 12 desserts too)! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.