I've said it before and I'll say it again (and again, and again, and again . . . ) I LOVE MY SLOW COOKER! Yesterday we came home from Vacation Bible School at 1:00 PM, so I quickly popped this in my crockpot, and let it do the cooking for me!!! (Love that!) Here's how to let your slow cooker do the work for you tonight . . .
Slow Cooked Beef Pepper Steak
- 1 – 2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips Sirloin Tip Roast, $3.49/lb
- garlic powder to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil $0.50/1 LouAna Oil, exp. 10/31/11 (SS 06/12/11 R)
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch $0.30/1 Argo Corn Starch or Baking Powder, exp. 7/05/11 (SS 12/5/10)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion Vidalia Sweet Onions, $.79/lb
- 1 or 2 large green bell peppers, roughly chopped these were $1.99/lb. at Publix yesterday which I thought was way too high . . . you might want to see if your local farmers market has them on sale for less
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid we used diced tomatoes because that's what was in the pantry, and it worked out perfectly!
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce $0.55/1 Kikkoman Soy Sauce, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 05/15/11)
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- rice (optional) $0.55/1 Minute Rice, exp. 6/30/11 (Better Homes & Gardens, Feb, Shape, Mar, Fitness, Feb, or Cooking Light, Mar)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle meat with garlic powder and then brown the beef.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Mix beef bouillon with hot water (I just heated the water in the skillet that I'd used from the meat), then add cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker, then add in onion, green peppers, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar & salt.
- Cover, cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours. Serve with soy sauce (optional) over rice.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Momfor more bargain meal deals. If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index. Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.