Time for our last day in the 12 days of Christmas baking series (whew!) Pretty sure I've gained five pounds this last few weeks, so I think I just might be ready for it to be over. 😉
This Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake recipe though is one I've always wanted to try, and it was easy to pack up to give as gifts. I've made the original gooey butter cake for years and while I think that one might still be my favorite, this was pretty yummy. . . especially for chocolate lovers! Here's the recipe so you can see what you think. . .
Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake12 Days Christmas Baking
- 1 stick butter melted, plus 1 more stick butter, melted (also butter for greasing pan)
- 18 oz. package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 16 oz box powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- Heat oven to 350 and grease 13"x9" pan.
- In large bowl, mix together one egg, one stick melted butter, and cake mix. Stir until well blended.
- Pat mixture into prepared pan (batter will be thick.)
- Beat cream cheese until smooth using mixer.
- Add in additional 2 eggs and cocoa powder and mix well, then add in powdered sugar.
- Mix until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- Slowly add in additional 1 stick melted butter and vanilla, continuing to beat until mixture is smooth.
- Add in nuts if desired (I didn't use them.)
- Spread filling over cake mixture in pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, being careful not to overcook the cake (the middle will still be a little bit gooey after finished baking.)
- Let cool on wire rack and enjoy!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.