Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
My friend (and amazing helper!) Shannon has been telling me forever about this Tex Mex Chicken Casserole recipe, and finally I took her advice and actually made it! I looked through my fridge, freezer and pantry and had everything ready right there in the kitchen, so I was thrilled to make dinner without an extra trip to the grocery store.
It was so simple to put together, and definitely a hit. Because it was more than we really needed I split it into two smaller dishes and shared half with a friend – her family served it with chips ~ we had ours as a main dish with a salad ~ and we all had dinner done! Here’s what you’ll need to get started . . .
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 can cream of chicken soup (I used their Healthy Request brand)
- 4 oz sour cream (I used light)
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened (also used light) :)
- 1 can Rotel
- 1/2 cup red onion
- black beans (optional - I left these out but think they would be delicious!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix together cooked rice, chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, softened cream cheese, Rotel, chili powder, red onion, black beans (optional) and 1 1/4 cups cheddar cheese.
- Pour into greased 9x13 baking dish or two smaller dishes.
- Bake at 325 for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle additional 3/4 cups cheddar cheese over casserole.
- Bake another 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Cool 10 minutes - Enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 4/30/14):
- Breakstone’s Sour Cream BOGO $2.69 at Publix
- Uncle Ben’s Rice 5 lb. BOGO $7.59, use $1/3 printable or $1/4 from the 4/6 Red Plum insert
- Kraft Shredded Cheese $3 at Publix
- Rotel BOGO $1.35 at Publix or $1 at Winn Dixie
- Publix Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $2.69/lb.
- Market Pantry Frozen Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $5.99, use $1 off Market Pantry Frozen Chicken when you text RECIPE to 827438
- Use $.50/1 Philadelphia Cream Cheese