Oh my word.
You have got to make this cake.
It's got everything you need rolled right up in one perfect cake, and your family will rave about your baking skills. 🙂
Start off with a chocolate cake mix (substituting the oil for unsweetened applesauce, and adding an extra egg – I forgot to include a picture of the applesauce in the picture!)
Now, beat up the whoopie pie filling. Mix in butter and marshmallow cream until it's nice and fluffy . . . then add in the powdered sugar until combined.
Dump all that whoopie pie filling on the first layer of your cake and spread around evenly.
Top with your second layer and get ready to make the ganache.
Ganache is so easy to make ~ don't let the name fool you (just two ingredients!) Heat up your half and half on the stove and just before it starts to boil, remove it from the heat.
Dump in your chocolate chips and stir gently …
… until they're all completely melted.
Spread that perfect ganache all over the cake, and let your friends share what an amazing cook you are.
You're welcome. 🙂
Whoopie Pie Cake
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix (prepared per package directions – subbing unsweetened applesauce for the oil and adding one extra egg)
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Whoopie Pie Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray or Grease 2 9×13 pans.
- Prepare cake according to package directions, subbing unsweetened applesauce for the oil and adding one extra egg.
- Split the batter between the 2 pans and bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cakes cool completely.
Whoopie Pie Filling
- Mix the butter and marshmallow fluff together until smooth.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread the whoopie pie filling on top of one of the cakes. Top this with the other cake.
Whoopie Pie Ganache
- In small saucepan bring the half and half to an almost boil.
- Quickly remove from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips until smooth.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and spread evenly over the cake.
Interact with 7629+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
Recipe adapted from Cookies & Cups.
Looking for more amazing dessert recipes?
- Scandalous Grace Cake
- Buckeye Brownies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies
- Cake Mix Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Paula Deen's Best Ever Carrot Cake
- Paula Deen's Banana Pudding
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.