- Photo courtesy Southern Living
Looking to grill a few ribs this weekend? Here's my favorite recipe (that I've even grilled a few times myself, without any help from my hubby!) They do take quite a bit of time to grill, so take a few minutes to season them with the rub the night before you make them, and then plan to be home for a few hours to grill before serving. I'll update with my own photo when we make them over the weekend, but doesn't Southern Living's photo look delicious? This recipe makes 6 LARGE servings, so we usually half the recipe at our house (leftover ribs aren't a favorite around here!)
Kansas City Style Spare Ribs
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt (can substitute with table salt) $0.75/1 Morton Kosher Salt, exp. 5-27-11 (Publix Yellow Advantage Buy Flier)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 to 3 slabs meaty pork spareribs, 6-7 lbs On Sale at Publix $1.99/lb.
- 2 cups barbecue sauce Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce BOGO at Publix $2.35, use $1/2 Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce 5/22/11 SS
- Mix everything except the barbecue sauce and ribs in small bowl.
- Rub dry ingredients into ribs (go ahead and rub it into both sides – I'm not sure if you're supposed to but that's what I've always done). Lay ribs on large cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap (the original recipe says to place in plastic bags, but I've never found bags big enough for those ribs!) Refrigerate ribs for 2-8 hours.
- Allow the ribs to stand at room temperature about 20-30 minutes before grilling. Grill, rib side down over indirect, medium heat. until meat is very tender and pulls off bones, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- During last 20 minutes baste frequently with barbecue sauce. Remove from grill and rest 5-10 minutes before cutting.
- Warm extra barbecue sauce and serve on the side with the ribs.
Serve with Broccoli Cheese Casserole and Strawberries and Cream . . . YUMMMM!
Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Momfor more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, check out the Recipe Index. Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals & deals.
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.