This is one of the first recipes I tried from my BH&G Cookbook almost 15 years ago when we were first married (which should be required reading for everyone. . .), and I still love to make it at least a few times each fall, because it's just one of those down-home-makes-you-feel-good kind of meals. It also is a great way to use up some of the leftovers in your fridge after Thanksgiving, and tastes delicious on a chilly fall night!
There's no special tricks to this recipe, just cook it up and enjoy. We had it a few nights ago served up with a loaf of bread and will enjoy the leftovers tomorrow night. (Anyone else have Thursday-Leftover-Night at their house?)
Turkey & Noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth hopefully you got some last week during the BOGO sale at Publix; if not, $0.40/2 Swanson Broth or Stock, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 11/06/11) or $1/2 Swanson Broth or Stock or Swanson Flavor Boost Product, exp. 1/15/12 (Share Something Delicious)
- 3 cups packaged noodles I always use No Yolks (this time I choose the “dumplings” variety), use $0.40/1 No Yolks Product (SavingStar.com) , $1/2 No Yolks Package, exp. 3/31/12 (RP 11/06/11), $0.40/1 No Yolks Product via Upromise Deposit
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots Publix Baby Cut Carrots, 16 oz bag – BOGO $1.69
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion Sweet Onions, 0.99/lb
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, sage or basil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour $.25/1 Gold Medal Product
- 2 cups cooked turkey (or chicken) Turkeys are on sale $.59/lb. at Publix … you'll have plenty of meat to work with once those birds are cooked! 🙂
- Add broth into large pot on stove, bring to boiling.
- Add the next seven ingredients, and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat and cook 10-15 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
- Slowly stir 1/3 cup cold water into 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add to flour/water mixture to broth.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir one minute more.
- Add cooked turkey or chicken and heat through. Enjoy!
Interact with 6335+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.