This is one of the first recipes I tried from my BH&G Cookbook almost 15 years ago when we were first married (which should be required reading for everyone. . .), and I still love to make it at least a few times each fall, because it's just one of those down-home-makes-you-feel-good kind of meals. It also is a great way to use up some of the leftovers in your fridge after Thanksgiving, and tastes delicious on a chilly fall night!
There's no special tricks to this recipe, just cook it up and enjoy. We had it a few nights ago served up with a loaf of bread and will enjoy the leftovers tomorrow night. (Anyone else have Thursday-Leftover-Night at their house?)
Turkey & Noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth hopefully you got some last week during the BOGO sale at Publix; if not, $0.40/2 Swanson Broth or Stock, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 11/06/11) or $1/2 Swanson Broth or Stock or Swanson Flavor Boost Product, exp. 1/15/12 (Share Something Delicious)
- 3 cups packaged noodles I always use No Yolks (this time I choose the “dumplings” variety), use $0.40/1 No Yolks Product (SavingStar.com) , $1/2 No Yolks Package, exp. 3/31/12 (RP 11/06/11), $0.40/1 No Yolks Product via Upromise Deposit
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots Publix Baby Cut Carrots, 16 oz bag – BOGO $1.69
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion Sweet Onions, 0.99/lb
- 1/2 tsp. thyme, sage or basil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour $.25/1 Gold Medal Product
- 2 cups cooked turkey (or chicken) Turkeys are on sale $.59/lb. at Publix … you'll have plenty of meat to work with once those birds are cooked! 🙂
- Add broth into large pot on stove, bring to boiling.
- Add the next seven ingredients, and return to boiling.
- Reduce heat and cook 10-15 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender.
- Slowly stir 1/3 cup cold water into 3 tablespoons flour.
- Add to flour/water mixture to broth.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir one minute more.
- Add cooked turkey or chicken and heat through. Enjoy!
Interact with 6335+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK!
Download your FREE 2021 Home Planner SNEAK PEEK now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.