Enter to win a Kindle Fire!
Last night as I was running behind on planning dinner, I did a quick hunt through my pantry to figure out what on earth we could muster up for a meal! I found several Old El Paso Kits in my cupboards, as well as the last bit of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast in my freezer. Because I didn't want to go to the store for any big purchases, I figured surely something could be made with what we had! All the items are on sale this week at Publix, so even if you don't have them in your pantry, this should make a pretty frugal (yummy!) meal this week for your family too.
El Paso Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat On Sale $1.99/lb. at Publix
- 1 can cream of chicken soup Use $0.40 off three Campbell's Condensed soups
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 Old El Paso Enchilada Kit $0.50/1 Old El Paso printable
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided Sargento Shredded Cheese On Sale $2.50
- 1 (6 ounce) can sliced black olives
- Boil chicken in a large pot covered in water until completely cooked, then shred with fork.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan mix together cream of chicken soup, sour cream and chili powder. Bring to simmering over low heat, then remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Heat butter (or margarine) in skillet over medium heat, then stir in onion and continue to cook and stir until onion is translucent. Add shredded chicken, taco seasoning packet (from enchilada kit), half the bunch of chopped green onion, and chopped green chilis, and water. Simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in onion powder & garlic powder, simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350, then stir in 1 cup of soup mixture with chicken mixture. Put the remaining soup mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Fill tortillas with chicken mixture and half the shredded cheese, then fold over and place seam side down in baking dish. (Save the rest of the shredded cheese for topping.)
- Pour enchilada sauce from Old El Paso Enchilada Kit over enchiladas and cover with the remaining cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with extra green onions and sliced olives. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Interact with 6980+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.