Enter to win a $100 Amazon Gift Card!
Last week when I asked everyone what was for dinner over on the PPP Facebook page (I love hearing what everyone's having for dinner!), Lauren mentioned this Orange Chicken with Rice and it sounded so good that she sent me over the recipe. Our family loved it, and it was easy to prepare, plus just about everything was in the pantry. We also added a few Chung's Egg Rolls from the Publix BOGO sale a few weeks ago which we were surprisingly impressed with . . . they were yummy!
Chicken & Orange Sauce With Rice
- 3 large chicken breasts cut in half Kroger has their Perdue Chicken Breast on sale for $1.99/lb. this week
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c butter, divided we used I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Sticks because I have tons in our fridge, but I always think butter tastes better!
- 2 Tbs flour Use $.25/1 Gold Medal Flour coupon
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon Don't forget that Aldi's carries cinnamon for $.99!
- 1/8 tsp ginger
- 1 1/2 c orange juice Florida's Natural Orange Juice BOGO $3.80 at Publix, we actually had tons of oranges that we bought from the local High School band, so just used fresh juice
- 3 cups hot cooked rice Mahatma Rice $1.29 at Publix, use $0.50/1 Mahatma Rice, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 09/11/11 R); or use Knorr Sides, 3.8 to 6.4 oz pouch, limit four – $0.79 or $1/4 Archer Farms Frozen Vegetables Target printable if considered a competitor
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and brown in 2 Tbs butter and remove chicken from pan.
- Melt remaining butter in same pan, scraping up any chicken bits stuck to the pan. Add flour, sugar, mustard, cinnamon, & ginger to skillet, stirring to a smooth paste.
- Gradually add orange juice, stirring constantly until sauce thickens & boils.
- Add chicken, cover, & simmer on low for 45 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice and use extra sauce to pour over.
Serve with . . .
Or Green Giant Canned Vegetables 4 pack BOGO $5.00
Interact with 6732+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.