I've posted this recipe each fall since I first started blogging, and it's one of those recipes that no one should miss! If you haven't tried it yet, add the ingredients to your grocery list this week and enjoy. 🙂
This is by far my favorite fall treat, and it's all I can do to wait until October to share it with you. I could make this cake all year long and never grow tired of it, but it just sounds so good in the fall and makes our home smell delicious!
Southern Living Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs Publix 18 ct. on sale $2
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced I think any tart apple will do – we used a bag of apples on sale at Publix in last week's sale. (To see detailed apple information, check out this site!) If you have an apple peeler & slicer it makes this so easy, and my kids love watching it work! If not you may have a little more prep time on your hands.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional, but we've never used them)
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended.
- Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. (Batter will be very thick, almost like cookie dough.)
- Spread into a well-greased 13- x 9-inch pan. (It's pretty sticky, so make sure to grease your pan well!)
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. salt
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.