This is one of my favorite cake recipes. It's so easy, and always turns out well. I really don't usually make this many cakes around our house, but the deals are just too good to pass up!
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cake
- 1 18.5 Devils Food Cake Mix Betty Crocker BOGO $1.83
- 1 small instant chocolate pudding mix Large package Advantage Buy $.99, or the small package is $1.09, $.55/2 Jello Pudding mixes HERE (I might buy the large one and then mix up two cups of pudding for my kids afternoon snack)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream Publix brand 16 oz. on sale $.89
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 6 oz. pkg. chocolate chips Use Toll House left over from last weeks sales if you have them, if not Publix brand are on sale for $1.50 this week!
- Grease bundt pan.
- Beat first six ingredients for three minutes.
- Add chocolate chips, beat 1 more minute.
- Pour in bundt pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes.
I will probably warm up 3/4 cup of my free frosting from this week's sales, then drizzle it over the cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar (Betty Crocker Frosting BOGO $1.89, use coupons -$.50/1 Frosting PRINT or PRINT HERE, or $.50 from 11/15 GM) But if you want to make the real thing, follow the directions below!
- 2 Tbsp. butter Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter, On Sale, 2/$5, $.50/1 from 11-01-09 SS
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 2 c. powdered sugar $0.30/1 11/15 RP Domino Sugar, 2 lbs. or larger
- 3-4 Tbsp. water
- 1 Tsp. vanilla extract
- Melt butter & chocolate.
- Add sugar, vanilla and water.
- If needed add more water to thin frosting. (Whisk the frosting if there are any lumps).
- Drizzle over cake. Enjoy!
Update to post – I was thinking this was a little pricy for just a cake, until I went by Publix today and saw the prices on their cakes. While their cakes are BEAUTIFUL, a pretty round cake from them will run you about $21.99. All I bought for the cake (I had the basic staples on hand), was the cake mix ($.95), the sour cream (I used half, so $.50), the chocolate chips ($.24 with coupon last week), the frosting (FREE!), and the pudding ($.99). My total for those was $2.68, a MUCH better deal than the pretty Publix cake – and my house smells like chocolate! What more could I ask for?
THE ULTIMATE PRICE COMPARISON SHEET
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.