This is a guest recipe from Brenda at Busy Mom on the Go. Brenda and her sister Jaime share tips on money management, crafting ideas, recipes, and home management ideas on their site, and I can't wait to try their yummy muffins out in our kitchen too!
For all of you out there that really know me, there is no hiding the fact that I have an incredible sweet tooth. If it's sweet, I probably like it! When I first saw this recipe for sugar doughnut muffins, I knew it was going to be my new recipe of the week.
This recipe is a cross between a cake donut and a sugar-covered doughnut. Normally when I think of homemade doughnuts, I remember the deep fried doughnuts covered in sugar. I don’t like to eat many fried foods and I don’t often feed them to my family, so I was excited that this recipes had the taste of a donut without the excess oils. (Please note this recipe is not healthy, but it is better than donuts fried in a deep fryer!)
The original recipe was sugar doughnut muffins, however because the texture of this muffin is much more like a cupcake, so I call them Sugar Donut Breakfast Cupcakes!
Sugar Donut Breakfast Cupcake Recipe
- 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1/3 Cups Egg Substitute (or 1 large egg)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- Small amount melted butter (1-2 Tbs), and sugar, cinnamon sugar, or powdered sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin pan.
- Beat together in a bowl egg, vanilla and sugar. Add in milk and vegtable oil.
- In another bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Combine all wet and dry ingredients together. Pour batter into muffin cups, filling 3/4 full. Bake large cupcakes 15-18 minutes. Mini cupcakes bake 10-15 minutes. To test insert a toothpick in center of cupcake, if it comes out clean they are ready.
- When cupcakes are finished baking. Melt small amout of butter. Dip top of cupcake into butter then dip into sugar of choice. Cool slightly before serving.
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.