Southern Living Chunky Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted $0.50/1 Land O' Lakes Spreadable Butter Products
- 2 cups sugar $0.50/2 Domino Sugar Products 8/29/2010 RP Insert (exp 11/30/2010)
- 2 large eggs $0.35/1 Eggland's Best Eggs 9/12/2010 SS Insert (exp 12/31/2010)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract $0.50/1 McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract or $1/1 McCormick Pure Vanilla Extract 10/3/2010 RP Insert (exp 10/31/2010)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour $1/1 Eagle Mills Flour I couldn't find this brand at my Publix, but maybe yours carries it!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda $0.50/2 Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Product
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced I think any tart apple will do – we used a bag of apples on sale at Publix in last week's sale. (To see detailed apple information, check out this site!) If you have an apple peeler & slicer it makes this so easy, and my kids love watching it work! If not you may have a little more prep time on your hands.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional, but we've never used them)
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in large bowl until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; add to butter mixture, stirring until blended.
- Stir in apple slices and 1 cup walnuts. (Batter will be very thick, almost like cookie dough.)
- Spread into a greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting; sprinkle with walnuts, if desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened $5/5 Kraft Cheese or Dairy Products , but I'm hoping you have some in your stockpile! 🙂
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened $0.50/1 Land O' Lakes Spreadable Butter Products
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar $0.50/2 Domino Sugar Products 8/29/2010 RP Insert (exp 11/30/2010)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Recipe and photo courtesy of Southern Living. This post is linked to Balancing Beauty & Bedlam's Tasty Tuesday.
Join Passionate Penny Pincher on Facebook to keep up with all the meals and deals!
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.