Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
My friend Mary shared this slow cooker roast recipe with me a few weeks ago, and goodness gracious I'm so glad she did. I popped everything in Mrs. Potts yesterday morning by 8, worked here on PPP most of the day, drove kids around town all afternoon, and walked into a (clean!) house with dinner at cooked at 6PM. (Such a gift!)
If you're a working mom, you've got to put this on your menu plan soon. And if you're a stay-at-home-chasing-kids-around-taxi-driving momma, you've worked crazy hard too and need Mrs. Potts to handle dinner for you just as much!
If you eat a gluten-free diet, make the recipe without the flour to fry it in (and minus the bread bowl of course) for a gluten free meal that also doesn't use any cream soup. So good!
Slow Cooker Roast
- 3-4 lb. beef shoulder roast
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion sliced thinly
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 large russet potatoes cut into 1/4" slices
- 32 oz beef broth
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard I substituted with regular mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp small cube beef bouillon
- 1 cup water
- bread bowls optional
- Rinse roast and pat dry.
- Cut 1-inch "X" on top of roast - not slicing all the way through the roast but enough to leave room for the onions to set down in the roast.
- Mix together flour, salt and 1 tsp pepper.
- Coat roast in flour mixture and cook in oil for 2 minutes until each side is lightly browned.
- Place roast in slow cooker.
- Stuff onion and garlic down into the roast.
- Add carrots and onions around the roast.
- Mix together beef broth, vinegar, water, mustard, beef bouillon, 1 1/2 tsp pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour broth mixture over roast, cook on low 8-10 hours. (It will take a long time for the veggies to cook.)
- Pour into bread bowls and enjoy!
This post is linked up to Crock Pot Ladies Slow Cooker Saturday. Thanks for the opportunity to link up! Recipe adapted from Southern Living Slow Cooker Suppers Magazine. If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.