This is a re-post of our favorite Slow Cooked Potato Soup recipe that we make each Christmas. If you need a warm meal while it's chilly outside, this one is a great penny-pinched option!
We made this Slow Cooker Potato Soup on Christmas Eve, and goodness gracious, it was perfect! I've made it once before but had forgotten just how yummy it was, however my husband decided after tasting it that this is the only Potato Soup recipe I need to make from here on out.
I did use half and half this time (before I'd only tried it with skim milk, which worked well too but it never thickened quite as much.) It was so simple, and would be a great penny-pinched meal to enjoy on a cold winter night this week!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cups peeled russet potatoes (about five potatoes)
- 1 medium stalk celery
- 1 carton (4 cups) chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or milk (we used skim milk and it was fine, but it might be a little creamier if you use half and half)
- 8 oz. shredded Cheddar Cheese
- In skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, until browned & crispy. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels, then refrigerate until dinner time.
- In bacon drippings, cook onion over medium heat 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix onion, potatoes, celery, broth, salt & pepper. Cook in slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours.
- In small bowl, beat flour and half and half (or milk) with wire whisk until well blended; stir into soup.
- Increase heat on slow cooker until high. Cover; cook about 30 minutes longer or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese until melted & smooth. (If you want fewer lumps in your soup, you’ll want to mash the potatoes a bit with a potato masher.)
- Crumble bacon, serve on top of soup.
Looking for more slow cooker recipes to add to your menu plan this week? Here you go . . .
- Day 1: Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
- Day 2: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Day 3: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Day 4: Slow Cooker Ham
- Day 5: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodle Soup
- Day 6: Slow Cooker Mug Brownies
- Day 7 : Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Day 8 Slow Cooker Ham & Cheese Melts
- Day 9: Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- Day 10: Slow Cooker Monkey Bread
- Day 11: Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
- Day 12: BEST Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Day 13: Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes
- Day 14: Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Day 15: Slow Cooker Cream Italian Beef Sliders
- Day 16: Slow Cooker Ravioli
- Day 17: Slow Cooker Italian Chicken
- Day 18: Slow Cooker Barbecue Ribs
- Day 19: Slow Cooker Chicken Ro-Tel Dip
THE ULTIMATE PRICE COMPARISON SHEET
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.