Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
You have no excuse to pay full price for calzones ever again. Seriously. We made this last night, my family gobbled it all up, and I was just wishing I'd doubled up on the recipe. Since Publix has their store bought pizza dough on sale this week, I'll be stocking up and popping it in the freezer. (Thanks to PPP reader Susan for letting me know it freezes well!)
Reagan was a wee bit excited while helping out in the kitchen 😉
You can add absolutely whatever you like to make a calzone (I think we'll try Barbecue Chicken Calzones next time), and you just can't mess it up. Here's the recipe we tried out, but I'd love to hear what other versions you've made too using store bought pizza dough too!
Sausage & Veggie Calzone (made simple with store brought pizza dough)
- pizza dough I used Publix store brand, but you could easily pick up Pillsbury's brand or make your own from scratch
- 8 oz. Italian sausage
- 2 cups fresh Spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms optional
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup ricotta
- 3/4 cup shredded Mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tbsp parmesan
- pepperoni optional
- Cook sausage in skillet until cooked t hrough.
- Remove from skillet and drain fat.
- Add water, spinach and mushrooms to skillet, saute 1-2 minutes until spinach wilts and mushrooms are cooked.
- Mix together ricotta, mozzarella, egg, Italian seasoning, red pepper and garlic salt in bowl.
- Divide dough into two portions and roll into circle.
- Spread 1/2 ricotta mixture on bottom of dough.
- Top with sausage & vegetable mixture as well as mozzarella cheese.
- Fold dough over to make calzones and pinch tight to form a seal.
- Transfer to baking dish and brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 for 15-25 minutes, making sure dough is thoroughly cooked through.
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 7/10/13):
- Publix Pizza Dough Buy One Get One Free (find it in the bakery department)
- Caroline Pride Sausage on sale $2.50 at Kroger
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms $1.79 at Publix
- Barilla Pasta Sauce Buy One Get One Free $2.59 at Publix
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.