Enter to win this week's $25 Sam's Club Gift Card & Chex Mix Giveaway, and sign up for Passionate Penny Pincher emails for a chance to win a $5o Gift Certificate!
Wanna know the best thing about Pinterest? (Y'all know I love that place!) Following super-cute pages from other people . . . especially when those pages are from a few super-cute nieces. 🙂 My sweet niece found these and made them to taste test for me, plus shared the picture for you all to see. (She also re-named them Santa Hats because she decided Red Velvet Peppermint Crinkle Cookies was a mouthful!)
Red Velvet Peppermint Crinkle Cookies (a.k.a. Santa Hats)
- 1 box Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake $0.60/2 Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Ready to Spread Frosting printable, $0.75 off Betty Crocker Supermoist Cake Mix AND Ready To Spread Frosting, exp. 1/7/12 (GM 11/13/11)
- 6 tablespoons butter $0.50/2 Land O'Lakes Butter Packages, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 10/23/11)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint or candy canes
- 1 cup powdered sugar Use $0.50/2 Domino Brown or Confectioners Sugar, exp. 12/31/11 (RP 10/16/11 R) or $0.75/2 Domino Sugar Product, exp. 1/31/12 (RP 12/04/11)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375. Melt butter & set aside to cool.
- In large bowl, stir together the cooled butter along with the cake mix, eggs, & peppermint extract.
- Add crushed peppermint & stir.
- Mix together powdered sugar and cornstarch with a fork in shallow bowl.
- Roll dough into a ball (will be sticky) and cover with powdered sugar (Sarah suggested using plenty of powdered sugar, see detailed pictures over HERE)
- Place balls on cooking sheet, leaving plenty of room between cookies to expand.
- Bake for 9 minutes (they'll look a little under-cooked, but will finish cooking outside the oven on the hot pan!) After cooling one minute, cook on wire rack.
Recipe adapted from Cookin' Cowgirl. Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups, and check out $5 Dinner Mom for more bargain meal deals! If you need a little more menu inspiration, visit the Recipe Gallery.
Interact with 6596+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!