FREE WORK PLANNER
This oven roasted herb turkey combines flavorful herbs with the richness of butter. It's an amazing Thanksgiving recipe you'll love!
Oven Roasted Herb Turkey
This Oven Roasted Herb Turkey is packed full of delicious flavor and is ready to be the star of your Thanksgiving table. Your family and friends will love this recipe, and it is surprisingly easy to make!
Just grab some butter and a handful of fresh herbs and you've got the fixings for a Thanksgiving dish to treasure for years to come.
MENU TIP: This oven roasted herb turkey recipe is from our celebration menu planning made easy set!
Ingredients for Making a Whole Turkey with Herb Butter:
- Whole turkey
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Yellow onion
- Fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
How to put herbs and butter under the turkey skin:
This turkey recipe is so delicious because of all the fresh herbs and butter! The trick to extra flavorful turkey is to put this herbed butter mixture under the skin of the turkey.
Use your hand or a rubber spatula to gently separate the skin from the breasts and legs. You want to be careful not to tear the skin or poke holes. Once you can lift that skin slightly, use your hand or spatula to apply the butter paste to the meat under the loosened skin.
Apply generously under the skin and then add a bit to the top of skin as well. If you have any leftover butter mixture, you can add it to the cavity along with the chopped onion, celery stalks, and garlic cloves.
Oven Roasted Herb Turkey
- 14 lb whole turkey, completely thawed
- 1/2-1 cup butter, softened
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary, thyme, and sage
- Once the turkey is thawed, remove everything from the cavity. Use a rubber spatula or your hand to loosen the skin over the breasts and legs, being careful not to poke holes through it.
- Mix softened butter, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder to make a paste. Use a rubber spatula or your hand to apply paste to the meat under the loosened skin and a little over the top of the skin also. Any leftover butter can be put into the cavity along with the onion, celery stalks, garlic cloves, and sprigs of thyme, rosemary, and sage.
- Bake at 350℉ in a roasting pan or inside a turkey bag (or you can just cover with foil). Using a meat thermometer, bake until temperature reaches 155-160℉. If the top is not looking browned near the end of cooking, cut the bag open or remove foil for the last 10-15 minutes so all the skin will brown. Allow turkey to rest 15-20 minutes before carving.
10-12 lbs (3-3 1/4 hours), 12-16 lbs (3 1/4-3 3/4 hours), 16-20 lbs (3 3/4-4 1/4 hours), 20-24 lbs (4 1/4-4 3/4 hours)
Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Need some inspiration for the sides to compliment your turkey? Here are some of the other recipes from our Thanksgiving Day Menu:
Looking for more yummy meals? This recipe is from celebration menu plans, including this meal and other AMAZING celebratory recipes! You'll also get lifetime membership in our private Facebook group, full of other families encouraging one another to make dinner each night together too.
Print your Free Monthly Meal Plan Calendar and join us in making yummy food for your family each night.
These are the BEST MENU PLANS on the planet (and, the only menu plan that ship all the grocery lists, menu plans and recipe cards right out to you ~ no downloading or hunting down recipes on your phone at dinnertime ever again!) Go HERE to learn more. I know you're going to love these!
If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.