Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
We made some yummy chicken enchiladas last night at our house, and while my kiddos complained a good bit about them, my husband and I enjoyed every last bite! On nights like these (when I know the recipe won't be their favorite . . .) we make our children try a few bites, but I had extra cooked chicken, cheese and tortillas on hand in case it wasn't their favorite.
(I absolutely hated trying new foods as a kid so I remember those days ~ I know they'll survive and refuse to cook a completely separate meal for them, but I'm pretty sure there was no way I would have tried chicken enchiladas either as a kid, so I guess I have pity on them and it's easy enough to put out some extra tortilas!)
My husband raved about this recipe though (success!), and I loved that it was all made from scratch, without using any processed cream soups. It was pretty simple to throw together, and I'm tickled because we'll have enough leftovers to enjoy it again tomorrow night for our weekly leftover buffet. 😉 Here's the recipe so you can get cooking today too.
(By the way, have you checked out the new PPP menu plans over the weekend with grocery shopping list? I'm telling you what, having these ready to go ahead of time has made cooking at home so much easier each week! I just copy and paste the list into an email to myself, and dinner somehow miraculously gets served.)
Homemade Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups cooked chicken I just boiled frozen chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup sour cream I used fat free sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 8 10 inch flour tortillas
- 12 oz jar taco sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Add in chicken, sour cream, 1 cup Cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano and pepper.
- Stirring constantly, let cheese melt, then stir in salt, tomato sauce, chili powder, green pepper and garlic.
- Add small amount of chicken mixture to each tortilla, roll up and place seam side down in 9x13 baking dish.
- Pour taco sauce over tortillas, then sprinkle with additional 3/4 cups Cheddar cheese.
- Bake covered 15 minutes at 350.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes, until cheese is bubbling on top.
- Cool 10 minutes prior to serving and enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 9/10/14):
- Winn Dixie Sanderson Farms Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast $1.97/lb. or Meijer Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast 64 oz package $9.98 ($2.49/lb.)
- Kroger Heritage Farm Chicken Breast $1.99/lb.
- Or use Hormel Cooked Chicken Breast at Publix on sale $1.70, use $1/2 coupon from the 8/10 SmartSource insert
- Onions $.99/2 lb bag at Aldi, Green Peppers $.99/3-pack at Aldi
- Green Peppers $.59 at Kroger or $.99/lb at Publix
- Kroger Sour Cream $1.25
- Sargento Cheese $2.29 at Kroger after Mega Sale, use $1/2 Sargento cheese or $.50/1 Sargento Cheese coupon from the 8/24 SmartSource insert
Looking for more Mexican recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Bake
- White Chicken Cheesy Enchilada Bake
- Slow Cooker Chicken Nachos
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili (5 Weight Watcher Points)
- How to Cook Taco Meat in the Slow Cooker
BLACK FRIDAY CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.