The sales on cherries are at the lowest price of the year, however it's sometimes difficult to find a recipe that actually uses fresh cherries! Many cherry recipes call for canned cherries or cherry pie filling, which can be incredibly expensive.
But since cherries are priced at $1.99/lb. at Publix (or just $2.99/lb. at Target), this cobbler will cost you between $3-$4 for the entire pan. (Which served eight happy helpings tonight when a few friends came over to test out the recipe with us!) For less than $.50 per serving, there's no reason not to try out this recipe this week. (I promise, your family will be so glad you did!)
Fresh Cherry Cobbler adapted from All Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups pitted sour cherries On sale $1.99/lb. at Publix or $2.99/lb. at Target, see how we pitted them at our house
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ice cream optional . . . not-so-optional at our house 🙂
Use the $2/1 Publix ice cream when you purchase Smuckers Ice Cream Toppings from the Publix Yellow Advantage Buy Flier (Smuckers Toppings are priced at $1.89, so you basically get them free!)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter in 9×13 casserole dish in stove, until completely melted (about five minutes.)
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar & baking powder in small bowl, mix well.
- Add milk and stir until combined, then pour flour/milk mixture over melted butter in casserole dish.
- Mix together cherries, 3/4 sugar, and 1 tbsp. flour in bowl. Evenly pour cherry mixture over flour/milk mixture in casserole (do not stir.)
- Bake 45-55 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm . . . with ice cream of course!
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.