I made this recipe Monday night for our family, and was surprised at how good it was. (I wasn't quite sure it would really work, but it turned out perfectly!) The chicken was delicious, and while I'm pretty sure I wouldn't confuse it for Chicken Cordon Bleu, it was really yummy and so simple to put together. My hubby happily had seconds, and the leftovers yesterday for lunch were almost good as as the original meal (always a good sign at our house!)
If you'd like to pinch a few extra pennies, you could easily skip the ham and cheese (making it not Chicken Cordon Bleu at all . . . ) and it would just be a good recipe for Chicken and Dressing. Either way, you'll have a yummy meal without too much effort, which is always my favorite way to cook. 🙂
Because these were all items I had in the pantry I'm not sure it's the greatest meal deal around this week, but I'm betting your pantry is stocked with most of these items too. Here's how to get it on the table for dinner in your house tonight:
Slow Cooker Almost Chicken Cordon Bleu
adapted from All Recipes
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts on sale $1.99 at Kroger or Perdue Fit and Easy $2.99/lb. at Publix
- 1 can cream of chicken soup Use $.40/3 Campbell's, or $0.40/3 Campbell's Condensed Soups, exp. 11/4/12 (SS 09/16/12 R), may be cheaper to buy the store brand
- 1 cup milk
- 4 slices ham Publix Extra thin Sliced Lunch Meats, 7 or 9 oz tub – $3.33
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 8 oz. stuffing mix
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Mix together milk and cream of chicken soup.
- Pour small amount of soup mixture on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Filet chicken breast and place slice of ham and swiss cheese inside, folding over. (You may want to also pound chicken to make it thinner. . . I didn't, but both my husband and I agreed it would have been even better that way!)
- Place stuffed chicken breasts in slow cooker, cover with remaining soup mixture.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours.
- Melt butter or margarine. Mix with dressing mix and sprinkle over top chicken mixture.
- Cook an additional hour in crockpot.
- Serve warm . . . yummm!
BLACK FRIDAY CHEAT SHEET!
Download your FREE cheat sheet now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.