I found this recipe while suffering through my workout on the elliptical at our local gym, and thought the entire time how pitiful it was that even when I'm working out I'm still thinking FOOD! I have to confess that I found it in the gym's copy of Family Circle, so I smuggled it out in my gym bag (I know that's stealing, but I needed it!) I will be promptly returning it tomorrow morning when I head on back to the gym because I ate way too much of this yummy pizza dough already!
I've tried quite a few pizza dough recipes over the years, and I think this one may just be the quickest and easiest to use dough that I've found. While Pillsbury Pizza Dough is on sale this week at Publix for $1.66, nothing beats homemade pizza dough when it comes to an easy yummy frugal meal!
Here's what you'll need . . .
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 package dry active yeast $0.55/1 Fleischmann's Pizza Crust Yeast 3-Strip, any – 09-19-10 SS 2 3/4 cups flour $1/1 Eagle Mills Flour
- 1 tsp sugar $0.30/1 Domino Sugar Product
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place water in small bowl & stir in yeast. Let stand 5 minutes.
- In large bowl whisk together 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar and salt.
- Make well in center and add the yeast mixture and olive oil.
- Stir until dough come together and forms a ball, then knead on floured surface for five minutes, adding additional flour as necessary. (We didn't add more flour in, I think my girls were too busy playing in it to actually do anything other than beat the stew out of that poor dough!)
- Form into a ball and place in bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil, then turn ball over to completely cover dough with oil. (Tip – wash out your mixing bowl using super hot water before re-using it to let the dough rise. That makes my bowl nice and warm and helps it rise a little more quickly!)
- Cover bowl with cling wrap and let sit in warm place for 1 1/2-2 hours (ours actually had risen plenty after about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl and punch down, roll into desired diameter, add toppings, and cook at 500 for anywhere from 12-18 minutes depending on how thinly you rolled out your dough.
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.