Have I mentioned lately that I love fall baking? Pumpkin bread is an absolute favorite in our home, but for some reason I rarely make it except during October. . . maybe November. However, rumor has it that canned Pumpkin may be in short supply this year, and when I couldn't find Pumpkin at Publix I tried out a little canned Sweet Potatoes. Guess what? It works! (I was shocked!)
So, if you can find canned pumpkin, you may want to grab an extra can or two this fall; but if not, try out canned sweet potato (mashed & drained. . . ) as a great substitute. Check out this so-yummy-my-kids-ate-a-loaf-in-24-hours recipe:
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin (or Sweet Potato) Bread
- 1 cup vegetable oil $0.50/1 LouAna Product printable
- 2 2/3 cups granulated sugar $0.50/2 Domino Brown or Confectioners Sugar, exp. 11/25/11 (RP 08/28/11 R)
- 4 large eggs
- 15-ounce can pumpkin or substitute with sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder $0.30/1 Argo Baking Powder, exp. 12/31/11 (SS 10/02/11) or $0.30/1 Argo Baking Powder printable
- 2 teaspoons baking soda $1/1 Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Product printable
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 24 oz. bag chocolate chips $0.50/2 Nestle Toll House Morsels printable
- Grease two 9×5″ loaf pans.
- Blend together first five ingredients in mixer until thoroughly blended.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients.
- Add vanilla and chocolate chip and mix until combined.
- Pour into two greased pans, bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire rack and serve. Yummmmm!
Interact with 6030+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
LOW CALORIE MENU PLAN SAMPLE!
Download 3 FREE recipes from the low calorie menu plan NOW!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.