Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
This cake is my oldest daughter's favorite cake — EVER. I have made it for her birthday the past 4-5 years. It is really good, and the homemade icing makes it amazing! I'm betting you can substitute the cherries for strawberries and it would be just as good.
It looks like it is really rich but the cherries give it such a unique taste. This is definitely a crowd-pleasing cake!
Chocolate Cherry Cake With Homemade Frosting
- 1 pkg. 2-layer size devil's food or chocolate cake mix + ingredients on box to make the mix
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 pkg. 3 oz. Jell-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tub 8 oz. Cool Whip Whipped Topping, thawed
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 pkg. 3 oz. Jell-O Chocolate Pudding
- 1 jar of drained maraschino cherries divided
- Grease and flour (2) 8 or 9 inch pans. (Be sure to flour them well.)
- Prepare Cake as directed on box
- Add boiling water to gelatin mix; stir 2 min. until completely dissolved.
- Stir in cold water. Pierce cake layers with large fork at 1/2-inch intervals.
- Pour half the gelatin over each cake. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Mix 1 Container of Cool Whip, Jell-O Chocolate Instant Pudding,1 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Dip bottom of 1 cake pan in warm water 1 minute; invert cake onto plate (this is why you want to flour the pan really well - it's so much easier if you have a ton of flour.)
- Carefully remove pan (you may need to dip it in warm water more if the cake is not coming out)
- Spread cake with 1 cup Cool Whip icing. Reserve a few cherries for garnish.
- Chop remaining cherries; sprinkle over cake on plate.
- Remove remaining cake layer from pan; place on first cake layer.
- Frost top and sides with remaining Cool Whip icing.
- Garnish with reserved cherries. YUMMY!!!!
- Refrigerate Leftovers
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.