I met my husband today for lunch at the Atlanta Bread Company, and he enjoyed the yummiest Broccoli Cheese Soup. As we were eating, he said “You know, this soup is so good I'd love another bowl. . . “, which is pretty rare for him! So, I decided to try to find a copycat recipe, and while I couldn't find Atlanta Bread's recipe, this Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup seemed to fit the bill.
It's a little more involved than most of the recipes that I make, however it was delicious and my hubby absolutely loved it! It is very, (VERY), thick though, so we decided that if we try it again we'll use a little less cheese and possibly add a little more water in addition to the chicken broth. (I hate sharing a recipe with a few recommendations, but you can check out the comments over HERE to see what I mean . . . and I want your family to love this!) I was thrilled that it doesn't use any processed cheese (many of the recipes for Broccoli Cheese soup that I've tried making before use Velveeta, and I'd rather cook with real cheese.) I also used non-fat half and half, to try and lighten up the recipe a bit, because 'tis the season for a New Years Resolution or two! It didn't effect the flavor at all though, and I can't imagine using a heavier half and half. . . it was plenty thick!
Panera's Broccoli Cheese Soup adapted from CD Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups chicken stock or bouillon
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli, chopped finely
- 1 cup carrots, chopped finely
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg I omitted this because I couldn't find it … time to clean out our spice cabinet! 🙂
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter & set aside.
- Melt additional butter in large saucepan, then add flour and whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir constantly, and slowly add half and half.
- Then add the chicken stock, continuing to whisk as you add it.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and onions.
- Cook until veggies are tender for 20-25 minutes over low heat.
- Add salt and pepper (you won't need much.)
- Pour into blender and puree (will probably need to seperate soup into two batches.)
- Return soup to pot and add cheese, stir well until blended.
- Add nutmeg and serve.
- Note: You could probably skip blending the soup if you're in a hurry, the soup would just be a little less smooth and chunkier. (Just a hint ~ If you do choose to blend it, be sure to properly put your blender together correctly before blending . . . ummmm . . . I missed that step and ended up with a little soup all over my counter tops. Yikes!) 🙂
Serve with . . .
Interact with 7800+ Penny Pinchers on Facebook and Twitter or Subscribe to Passionate Penny Pincher by email to keep up with all the penny pinchin’ deals!
CELEBRATION MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE sample menus today!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.