If you enjoy this recipe, I’d sure love for you to “share” it on Facebook or “pin” it on Pinterest ~ just click the buttons above. Thanks so much for supporting PPP!
This is my all-time-absolute-best-slow-cooker-pot-roast-on-the-planet recipe, and if you haven't tried it yet you've got to add it to your menu plan this week! I'd love to hear if you have other ways to cook your roast, but this one (at least right now. . . ) is our family's favorite.
I've tried way too many pot roast recipes to count. . . fairly unsuccesfully. (At least according to my not-always-impressed-with-my-penny-pinched-meals hubby.) But when I saw shoulder roasts on sale at Publix this week, I was determined to get it right, and I think I finally did! I realized that the biggest problem with the pot roasts that I've tried in the past has probably been the cut of meat ~ I thought that because everyone said to use a chuck roast, that was what I needed. But I don't think think I'll ever use another chuck roast again!
I've also tried the ever famous cream-of-mushroom & Lipton soup trick over and over again, but to me the roast always tasted like a soupy cream of mushroom mess. (I know some of you may just love it, but it wasn't a favorite at our house!) This however, was perfect. I started with a basic recipe from A Year Of Slow Cooking (if you love your slow cooker you've gotta check that site out), but adapted with what I had in the pantry. Here was my secret ingredient ~
The original recipe called for 3 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce, but when I couldn't find it in the pantry I decided this Beefy Mushroom soup might just work. It worked, and was really, really good. In fact, my son said it was the best recipe I've ever made and decided that we needed to pack up our slow cooker for our next family vacation. Yup, this is my new Slow Cooker Roast Winner! I'd love to hear what you think if you try it out.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- For the Roast:
- 2-3.5 pound roast I used a shoulder roast I'll never try any other kind because this one was so good!
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced in rings
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 can Beefy Mushroom Soup *NOT* cream of mushroom
- For the Gravy:
- 2 cups broth from slow cooker
- 1/2 tbsp. beef bouillion
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- Trim all fat from roast.
- Mix together flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in large plastic bag.
- Put the roast in the bag and shake it until completely coated in flour, then brown all sides in large skillet in olive oil.
- While the meat is browning, add your onion slices to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put roast on top of onions, then pour beef broth and soup over top. (If you want to add carrots or potatoes, you could also put those on top.)
- Cook 9 hours on low heat in slow cooker. Serve with mashed potatoes, veggies, and (of course!) gravy.
- Gravy Directions:
- Remove 2 cups of the broth and place in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add bouillon and stir until it's completely mixed in to the broth.
- Mix together 2 tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup water.
- Slowly add corn starch mixture into broth, stirring constantly.
- Simmer over medium heat for one minute. Season if needed. (Ours didn't need any extra seasoning!)
If you’ve tried out a great slow cooker recipe I’d love the recipe. . . there are so many good ones, and since I’m planning to keep Mrs. Potts busy this month, I’d love to try out a few of your suggestions! Leave a comment to share your tips. And if you're looking for more slow cooker recipes, here are several more in the series:
- Day 1: Slow Cooker Meat Loaf
- Day 2: Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Day 3: Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Day 4: Slow Cooker Ham
- Day 5: Slow Cooker Chicken and Noodle Soup
- Day 6: Slow Cooker Mug Brownies
- Day 7 : Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- Day 8 Slow Cooker Ham & Cheese Melts
- Day 9: Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
- Day 10: Slow Cooker Monkey Bread
- Day 11: Slow Cooker Beef Fajitas
Need a slow cooker to get started? Here are a few decent deals on Amazon:
- Hamilton Beach Stay or Go 6-Quart Slow Cooker for just $29 (regularly $39.99)
- Hamilton Beach 33967 Set ‘n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker $49, regularly $59.99
- Crock-Pot SCVT650-PS 6-1/2-Quart Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker, Stainless Steel $79.99 (regularly $119.99)
- Cuisinart PSC-350 3-1/2-Quart Programmable Slow Cookerto $46 (regularly $110)
SUMMER MENUS & GROCERY LIST!
Download your FREE summer menus & grocery list now!
I won't send you any spam, ever. Promise.