Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
This Broccoli Cheese Soup at home is divine.
Better than Panera.
And Mrs. Potts will do most of the work for you.
You’re welcome. 😉
My husband and I loved this recipe, my 14 year old liked it, and my 11 and 7 year old actually ate it. Success?
Here’s how to get a yummy warm & toasty meal on the table at your home too (and I highly recommend you include a side of homemade bread. Perfection!)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons all purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 12 oz cans evaporated milk
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups broccoli florets (I substituted with frozen broccoli which I cooked in the microwave and drained well - to make sure there wasn't too much liquid I reduced the chicken broth by 1/2 cup as frozen veggies are usually packed with water when they cook)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese
- In large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Saute onions until they become transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and flour, as well as a little salt and pepper to flavor.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Using a whisk, slowly add in evaporated milk and stir well to make it smooth.
- Cook mixture until it begins to thicken, then pour into slow cooker with chicken broth, broccoli & thyme.
- Cover and cook 2 1/2 - 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Turn heat off (or warm if you have that option), and add in heavy cream, shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 11/19/14):
- Broccoli Buy One Get One Free at Giant Eagle and Food Lion
- Kroger Shredded Cheese $1.99
- Swanson Chicken Broth $.50 at Dollar General (14 oz) or $1.89 at Walmart & Target (32 oz), use $1/2 Swanson coupon from the 10/5 SmartSource insert or $1/2 Swanson printable coupon