Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
Goodness gracious, this recipe is perfect. It hits all the things I love in a recipe ~ it’s penny pinched, takes about seven seconds to dump in Mrs. Potts, is pretty low in calories (depending on how much hoagie roll & cheese you choose to eat . . .) and it’s delicious.
Need I say more?
Now, you could fluff the sandwich up a bit by adding some extra mayo or dijon mustard, or just leave it plain and simple. We loved it ~ my kids ate around the peppers and onion, and with less than 15 minutes of work dinner was done.
Success! Here’s the recipe . . .
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (I used frozen)
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 14 oz can chicken broth
- packet dry Italian seasoning mix
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 hoagie buns
- 6-8 slices provolone
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Slice onions and peppers, pour on top of chicken.
- Pour chicken broth over peppers, onions and chicken, then sprinkle Italian dressing packet over everything.
- Cook on low 6 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, open hoagie rolls and layer a slice of cheese on one side of each, then broil in oven for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned and cheese has melted.
- Add mayonnaise or mustard if desired, and enjoy!
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 8/20/14):
- Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast $7.99/2.5 or 3 lb. bag at Kroger
- Onions, $.99/lb at Food Lion
This post is linked to Crock-Pot Ladies Slow Cooker Saturday ~ thanks for the opportunity to link up! Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff – I really want to try out their Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches next! Thanks to I Heart Publix for the coupon matchups. If you need a little more menu inspiration, go HERE.