Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
I really think I could eat soup every single day when it’s cold outside. So as I was trying to come up with something yummy to make this week, I knew another soup recipe was in order! I’m not a big fan of traditional Minestrone Soup, but I saw this recipe for Chicken and Artichoke Minestrone and thought I’d see if I could tweek it a bit so that Mrs. Potts could do the cooking. It worked.
This is so easy and makes a ton – you literally dump the ingredients in your slow cooker and come back a few hours to have a yummy meal on the table. You can adjust it quite a bit – if you don’t like artichokes (or don’t want to spend the extra pennies on them!), leave them out. If you’ve got a can of black beans in your pantry, throw them in. Usually I would use cooked chicken that I pre-cooked at home, but in a pinch I grabbed the canned cooked chicken to make life easy. Really, this soup is so simple and you can’t mess it up – just top with a hearty pinch of Parmesan and add a side of crusty bread, and you’ve got dinner done!
(I just checked and the recipe makes twelve servings and has 4 Weight Watchers Points per serving ~ love that! Plus, you’ll quite possibly have a week’s supply of veggies in one delicious meal. So good, and good for you!)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 onion, chopped (I used a red onion ~ I always think those have the best flavor!)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 32 oz cartons chicken broth
- 1 can corn, undrained
- 1 8 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 oz package frozen spinach
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
- fresh Parmesan cheese
- Dump all ingredients except the Parmesan in the crockpot (pasta does not need to be cooked.)
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 7/10/13):
- Progresso Broth BOGO $2.59 at Publix, use $2 off chicken or sausage when you purchase 4 Progresso or Hunts products found in Viva Italia Booklets in store
- Mushrooms on sale $2 at Kroger
- 3 lb yellow onions $.79 at Aldi
- Tyson Chunk Chicken $2.50 at Publix or Perdue Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast on sale $1.99/lb at Kroger
- Or Tyson Grilled & Ready Chicken $6.99 at Publix, use $1/1 coupon from the 1/5 Smart Source insert
- Hunts Tomatoes BOGO $1.99 at Publix, use $2 off chicken or sausage when you purchase 4 Progresso or Hunts products found in Viva Italia Booklets in store, stack with $1/1 Kraft Parmesan and purchase of 3 Hunt’s products coupon from the 1/19 Smart Source insert