Looking for more penny pinched recipes? Here you go!
When my 14-year old asked for a roast this week (the kid loves beef, but I make a lot of chicken around here), I had to oblige. (How often can you say no to a growing teenage boy who actually wants you to cook a meal?) And of course, when I saw roasts were on sale at our local Giant Store Buy One Get One Free, roast was on the menu.
(Have I mentioned lately how important it is to make recipes based on your sales ad? So yes, when chicken’s on sale we have chicken, when beef’s on sale we get beef. It helps your budget so much when you menu plan strategically!)
Because making a penny pinched meal always makes me happy, I of course had to do the math on what this dinner cost. (I know, I’m weird that way but I really do calculate the price the entire time I’m cooking.) Here’s the breakdown:
- Roast $6.77 (on sale Buy One Get One Free at Giant)
- Baked Potatoes $1.25 (used half of one 5 lb. bag – on sale for $2.50)
- Onions $.49 from Aldi
- Green Beans Market Pantry Canned Veggies that I bought for $.41 a few weeks ago)
- Biscuits $1 (I’m guessing on this one – my husband had them in his fridge whenever he was up here in Ohio ahead of us)
- Total = $9.92 to feed our family of 5 with leftovers or $1.98 per person ~ and much cheaper than it would have been at a restaurant!
- 4 onions
- 1 bottom round roast
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Place onions in bottom of large pot.
- Season roast well with salt and pepper, and place it on top of the onions.
- Pour vinegar around the bottom of the roast (no additional liquid will be needed - the roast will make its own gravy.)
- Heat over high heat to simmering, then reduce heat to low and cook 3-4 hours covered (3 hours was plenty for ours), without taking the lid off while it's cooking.
- Remove roast from pan.
- Whisk together flour and water.
- Pour flour mixture into drippings on the skillet ~ stir until thickened.
- Carve roast and serve with gravy.
Here are the best sales I see to watch for this week (as of 6/4/14):
- Publix Sirloin Tip Roast on sale $4.49/lb
- Bi Lo Bottom Round Roast on sale $2.99/lb
- Winn Dixie Bottom Round Roast on sale Buy One Get One Free $2.99/lb
- Kroger Vidalia Onions on sale $.59/lb or $.99/lb at Publix (also check Aldi for these if you have one nearby)
- Serve with Simply Potatoes BOGO at Publix and Winn Dixie (use $1/2 coupon from the 6/1 Red Plum insert)